Should I stop pumping oxygen in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoMoreGoldFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are oxygen and Co2 the only two dissolved gases in water? The reason I'm asking is, I'm planning to add pressurized Co2 to my tank but I also have an air pump running. So if oxygen and Co2 content in water always are relative (like 60/40, 50/50, 50/60, etc.), then it would be counter intuitive to pump and diffuse both gases into the water.

Thanks.

Partially correct. You do not want to run an air pump while running Co2, but not because the two gasses directly compete - but because of something called "off-gassing".

Basically, the bubbling from the airstone will cause the CO2 in the water to escape more quickly into the air. Think if it this way:

You have a bottle of soda, that is just sitting still. The soda is pressurized with CO2.

Without opening the bottle, you shake it - and it foams up. This is because the shaking caused some extra CO2 to un-dissolve from the soda.

Same thing with an airpump. The air bubbles cause extra CO2 to escape.

Thanks for the response.

So I guess surface agitation is a no-no for planted tanks? That would make it difficult for me to add fish because my water temp hovers around 86 degrees without blowing a fan on it. I might need to find a compromise. Anyway, thanks for the information. Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom