Showing off (I hope) low tech planted 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, the 75gal is gone. I do miss it, but I also like not having to come up with 4' of wall for the thing. I picked up a cheap 29gal set up, upgraded to a 2 bulb fixture and decided to try the low tech plant technique (ie, no CO2, no fertilizer). The first pic is from about week 2.5, the second is week 4ish. Filter is a Penguin 125. Last water test was 0 for nitrite & ammonia, 7.5 nitrate, 7.5 pH. How's it looking?

img_822999_0_2f263ce0f3e65ef045e6efc05a25816d.jpg

img_822999_1_a1e547b8e352da732809ea8ee220b5f1.jpg

If it looks like it's real and not a background, you've got what you want . . . don't yell at the camera! :lol:

I'd like to move the taller plants to the back/sides, but I'm wondering if it's possible to do that without creating a mess since there is potting soil under the sand. Any hints/ideas?

I have some pretty high light tanks and a couple pretty low light planted tanks. In some ways the low light tanks are a little more fun. Things do not grow nearly as fast, and it becomes a challenge to see what you can do with limited light. You might be surprised to see what actually grows in low light. I have some Bacopa that grows better in my low light invert tank better than any place else.

Nice looking tank BTW.

I really like having lots of plants, so I'd add more. It's coming along nicely and would probably qualify as lightly to moderately planted now.

I'm wondering if it's possible to do that without creating a mess

The tank look like it's coming along nicely. One way to minimize the mess of replanting is to take the water very low (2 inches), then move your plants, allow it to settle a bit, then refill. Because you have a layered substrate, you will still get some mixxing. You may have to add a little more sand to cover any potting soil that comes up.

Back
Top Bottom