Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
I have a Zebra Loach (Botia Striata). Can I put some red cherry shrimp or other small shrimp in the tank, or will the loach eat them?

Currently I have some ghost shrimp (started with 6) and amano shrimp (started with 6). Can't say for sure if any have been eaten because my tank is heavily planted, so I only see a a few at a time.

I'm guessing he is eating them to be honest. They say almost all fish think of them as treats basically. Loaches being bottom feeders just makes it more likely for them to eat them.

If you want shrimp, I suggest getting a bigger type of shrimp like a bamboo/fan/wood shrimp, or getting a different tank and settting it up as a shrimp only tank.

I think maybe he could handle the ghost shrimp, but the amanos that I have are 1.5+". I would think they are too big for him to take down. FYI, the botia stratia is much smaller than the more common clown loach. Honestly though, even the ghost shrimp are still out and about in the tank, and they have been in there for 3+ weeks. I never see more than a few at a time though, so it is very possible the numbers have dwindled.

Thanks for the advice though Ben. I guess I will hold off on the RCS. Too bad though, because I discovered the wonderful world of shrimp after I had already stocked my fish... I find them more interesting than a lot of the fish. Not to mention, they really love crawling around on the plants and nibbling on algae... but I must admit, I see less of them than when I first put them in, so there is a good chance some have become snacks.

You mentioned tetras eating them... I was hoping maybe I could just trade in my zebra loach and that would solve the problem, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

The loach will eat them. If you do trade in the loach I'll have some shrimp for you! I've got RCS, yellows, snowballs, and high grade CRS/CBS if that's your thing.

The loach will eat them. If you do trade in the loach I'll have some shrimp for you! I've got RCS, yellows, snowballs, and high grade CRS/CBS if that's your thing.

Thanks! could you do me a favor and take a look at my fish list (under my tanks) and tell me if you think any of my other fish will be a problem? Basically, it is a peaceful community tank with a bunch of tetras, and some SAEs and 1 Loach.

Would be interested in the shrimp... let me see what I can do about finding the loach a home. I originally bought him to combat snails, but have only seen 1 snail in my tank (And none in the last 2 weeks or so). Maybe thats because of the loach :)

hmmm, maybe I will just stick with what I have then for awhile, and consider a second nanotank later on with just shrimp. Those little ADA cubes are amazing (of course I may have to win the lottery first...)

Yeah those ADA tanks are awesome, yet expensive. I'm looking into this tank AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

It's a 4 gallon, rounded corners, light and light bulb included. For 40 bucks, seems like a good deal to me, and it looks nice too. I'm doing a natural Killifish and shrimp tank with it once I get the money. I might have to choice between either the killifish or the shrimp, I just remember my old killis use to stick to the top of the tank so I might be able to work them out together.

Yeah the lottery would be nice to win :D

The glass/acrylic looks bad in that tank. It isn't very clear so you won't be able to see through it well. IMO you'd be better off with an 18 qt green Rubbermaid tote.

ben

Whats up with the call me ben?

:) I wanna call you George

hahah just kidding man

I made the mistake of ordering 10 cherry shrimp and my fish ate all of them in a couple hours.

Back
Top Bottom