Sideways growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
My R. rotundifolia is all growing fairly fast, but much of it is growing sideways rather then up... The stems were straight when i put them in, and now they're all growing horizonally or at a 45 degree angle.

Is my lighting too much for them? Some kind of deficiency?

TIA

That's too bad, b/c they're really nice plants. They also seem to be shooting TONS of roots at the nodes; I knew stem plants did that, but not like this!

You are doing great. If it is creeping where you do not want it to, keep trimming it before those spots, and those horizontal stems will send vertical stems, and after repeating you will have a nice bush of R. rotundifolia if you want one.

Glad I'm not the only one, All my hygro rosanervig is doing the exact same thing. but I'll leave it for a bit, the tetras and anubias are liking the shade from them.

czcz said:
You are doing great. If it is creeping where you do not want it to, keep trimming it before those spots, and those horizontal stems will send vertical stems, and after repeating you will have a nice bush of R. rotundifolia if you want one.

A bush would be pretty cool; but the bends are like 4" off the substrate so that would look kinda weird... I suppose once it's grown in a bit I can trim the bottom off the plant and replant the top "bushy" part?

Thanks for the complimant czcz! :eek: :D

I have about 6 stems of L. Repens, and wisteria, and about half are throwing roots out their nodes like mad... many of the roots are like 3" long. What are the plants trying to do? most of the roots are pretty far from the substrate...

My l repens does the same thing. I just keep cutting the tops and replanting. I have babys at almost every leaf node.

re planting tops: Yup. Shorter plants around it and carefull trimming helps if you want it to look like a mound. I have never gotten very straight stems with it, fwiw, but as a thought maybe keep it in a darker part of the tank and shade it from the light with taller plants. It will probably still arch as it gets closer to the light, though.

Sounds good, I think that'll be a cool look for sure. My lights end about 4" before the end of the tank; so that' pretty well shaded. I put a wistera, L. repens, and R.rotundifolia back in that corner... I think the L. repens, and R.rotundifolia in that corner look better then the ones in the light, haha.
The wisteria is living but not thriving tho, guess that one likes the light.

once everything grows in a bit and i get an idea of how it's looking i'll prolly pull most ofthe wisteria out; it's kinda 'loud' IMO

Back
Top Bottom