Silly planted tank questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gemach7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so week number 3 of finnex 24/7 still running with no co2 only excel. After week 1 my green spot algae went crazy. So upped my cleaning.
Twice a week I clean the glass and stir the substrate. I also added a midweek 20% PWC in addition to my weekly 50%. This has brought my nitrates to a very low for freshwater 10ppm average between wc.

I upped my fert dosing since I'm changing out 70% of the water each week now.

Since I'm still getting crazy amounts of green spot algae and my nutrients are controlled, assuming this is a co2 to light imbalance that is causing the increased algae.

Ok that's my long back story, now for the questions lol.

1 I have a co2 regulator and co2 tank from extra parts for my kegerator I've never used. What else do I need and how do I install on a timer.

2 my cambomba is sprouting roots from nearly all of its branches are these where you can propagate from?

Before I install co2 should I increase my plant mass and see if that decreases the algae.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441632354.322299.jpg

Sorry for the glare on the one side, East facing window perpendicular to the tank and only 09:30 here lol.

I know you are going to be asked how many hours a day you are running the lights. A temporary fix is reduce the lights. It's great you already have all the CO2 equip. I've always been afraid to try. Some one else will have to chime in on that. Tank looks nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know you are going to be asked how many hours a day you are running the lights. A temporary fix is reduce the lights. It's great you already have all the CO2 equip. I've always been afraid to try. Some one else will have to chime in on that. Tank looks nice!

The finnex 24/7 is an automatic light that produces a sunrise-sunset effect then moon glow at night. I can dial it down but would remove the relaxing sunrise red to wake up to lol.

And thanks :).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ahhh. I have a current Solo little nano tank with a fancy light but I have to manually control all that. I have a hard time parting with my money for super fancy lights. It actually sounds really cool though. In winter do you set it for a shorter on period to simulate the different seasons? What kind of fish?

Ahhh. I have a current Solo little nano tank with a fancy light but I have to manually control all that. I have a hard time parting with my money for super fancy lights. It actually sounds really cool though. In winter do you set it for a shorter on period to simulate the different seasons? What kind of fish?

I don't think it does seasons there's a couple options for weather like thunder storms lol.

Stock is:
6 diamond tetras
2 male 4 female guppies.
6 harlequin rasbora
4 sterba's corys
3 amano shrimp, lost one a month ago not sure age when I got him but had him nearly 2 years :(
1 Bolivian ram
2 crown pleco

On the sterbai corys I'd up the numbers. They really like being in groups of at least 5 or 6 and they will be more comfortable and friendly that way. My mom has one lonely guy and I have several more on order from a breeder for when he gets around to fishing them out of the tank. I have several other kinds but I do really like the yellow on their fins. You have some nice fish going on.

On the sterbai corys I'd up the numbers. They really like being in groups of at least 5 or 6 and they will be more comfortable and friendly that way. My mom has one lonely guy and I have several more on order from a breeder for when he gets around to fishing them out of the tank. I have several other kinds but I do really like the yellow on their fins. You have some nice fish going on.

Was one of the plans when my stock starts slimming from old age, both the guppies and rasboras are all near their stated life spans. Atm they quite outgoing which is why I haven't increased their numbers.

Need help please

Hello I'm new here. I've just got this 3 gallon Marineland contour aquarium with hidden filtration. It's for one beta that I've had for 2 years which he's enjoyed in g tiny half gallon tank no filter. Anyways its been 2 days since up and running and the water is kind of cloudy. Not bad but not clear. And my beta won't eat. He'll eat a pellet and regurgitate it a second later. He's done this in the past a long time ago but it's starting to worry me. Keep in mind I'm new to this tank and filtered tanks in general for that matter. When I figure out how I'd like to show some pics. Not sure how at moment because using my smart phone only. Thank you

Are you heating the betta tank? What is the temperature in the tank? How often are you doing water changes?

Have the sterbai bred for you?

They have laid eggs but not even my guppy fry survive in my tank lol.

I take my corys eggs out and hatch them. I've never had them survive in the main tank.

Yes, with decent lighting and an imbalance in ferts or CO2 you can experience plant and/or algae problems.
If you plan to stick with the 24/7 mode, perhaps some floating plants may help to reduce the lighting in the tank. Or you can use standard mode, dim it, get a timer and and set the photo period to 6-8 hours or less. Both should help with the GSA (green spot algae).
Are you only using Excel as a fertilizer and nothing else? I don't really consider Excel (or any similar products such as API CO2 Booster, glutaraldehyde) a fertilizer but, rather, a source of carbon. Along with carbon, a regular dose of macro and micro nutrients should help with plant growth. API Leaf Zone used with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is a good fert combo for a low-medium light tank. That light is capable of decent medium light at full blast and without proper fertilizers for the plants can result in an algae problem.
Cabomba can be trimmed anywhere along the stem and replanted.
Not sure what parts the kegerator comes with. You need a connector for the CO2 tank, a regulator to reduce the pressure to a workable rate, a solenoid valve to control CO2 flow, a gauge for total pressure, a gauge for working pressure, a fine adjustment knob to tweak the output, a bubble counter, and a check valve. The solenoid valve connects to a standard electrical outlet or timer. I purchased an Aquatek Premium Cool Touch Regulator and it covers all of the above.
The swords in your tank could benefit from substrate fertilizers. The rest appear to be low light plants.

Yes, with decent lighting and an imbalance in ferts or CO2 you can experience plant and/or algae problems.
If you plan to stick with the 24/7 mode, perhaps some floating plants may help to reduce the lighting in the tank. Or you can use standard mode, dim it, get a timer and and set the photo period to 6-8 hours or less. Both should help with the GSA (green spot algae).
Are you only using Excel as a fertilizer and nothing else? I don't really consider Excel (or any similar products such as API CO2 Booster, glutaraldehyde) a fertilizer but, rather, a source of carbon. Along with carbon, a regular dose of macro and micro nutrients should help with plant growth. API Leaf Zone used with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is a good fert combo for a low-medium light tank. That light is capable of decent medium light at full blast and without proper fertilizers for the plants can result in an algae problem.
Cabomba can be trimmed anywhere along the stem and replanted.
Not sure what parts the kegerator comes with. You need a connector for the CO2 tank, a regulator to reduce the pressure to a workable rate, a solenoid valve to control CO2 flow, a gauge for total pressure, a gauge for working pressure, a fine adjustment knob to tweak the output, a bubble counter, and a check valve. The solenoid valve connects to a standard electrical outlet or timer. I purchased an Aquatek Premium Cool Touch Regulator and it covers all of the above.
The swords in your tank could benefit from substrate fertilizers. The rest appear to be low light plants.

I know they are not the best but using in addition to excel, seachem root tabs, flourish , flourish micro nutrients, and flourish iron.

I have a tank, regulator, and the connections so took a quick look at eBay for rest of my shopping list. Going to try the co2 first and tweak lights from there if need to.

I missed the part about the Flourish ferts.
I had GSA bad in my tank when I ran the planted+ and FugeRay at the same time. A combination of decreased lighting and increased phosphates helped clear it up.

I missed the part about the Flourish ferts.
I had GSA bad in my tank when I ran the planted+ and FugeRay at the same time. A combination of decreased lighting and increased phosphates helped clear it up.

Luckily it's gsa only lol. 15 minutes of work and only see it on the driftwood :). Ordered the CO2 supplies this morning will see if the imbalance correction will bring it back in line.

Algae seems under-control by switching to el method of fert dosing. Haven't changed anything else but this yet.
Do need to pick up more root tabs as swords started to show more yellow than normal this week.

Back
Top Bottom