Simple CO2 setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this article on a simple diy CO2 setup. Can it really be that easy? I wasn't planning on doing a CO2 setup but if this would work I would give it a try.

Fermentation
Producing CO2 through fermentation is actually quite straightforward and can be carried out even by aquarists on a limited budget.

You will need a 1.5-2.0 liter plastic bottle.
Poke a hole in the cap and let an airline tube run through it. (The attachment must be airtight.) The airline should ideally have a non-return valve.
Fill half of the bottle with water.
Shake in ½ cup of sugar and ½ teaspoon of baking yeast.
Secure the cap and wait for the fermentation process to start. It should be up and running in no time, just like when you bake a loaf of bread.
When gas starts to evaporate through the airline, attach an air stone to the tube and place it in the aquarium.
The fermentation process will normally provide the aquarium with plenty of carbon dioxide for at least two weeks.

Diy c02 is pretty easy ans straight forword.

I think in the article it said to use an air stone to diffuse the c02.
When i tried an air stone it didnt work because the pressure wasn't high enough.
Also, if your tank is large, lets say a 20 gallon or larger, you may need multiple bottles to provide an adequate amount of c02.
For large tanks, a pressurized c02 system would be better.
I dont think this really matters, but i use a cup of sugar, same amount of yeast as you. Ive heard of people using baking soda in their mixture too.
When i add the water to my mixture of sugar and yeast, i make sure its a warm temperature.

Back
Top Bottom