Singapore moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got it at petco as a ground mat. I thought it was java moss but the scientific name says different. Does anyone know of the growth pattern or have any experience with this variety. Any other names it goes by to google?

Singapore moss

Hello Atx...

I have Singapore moss in a couple of my low tech, low light 55 Gs attached to large pieces of driftwood.

Singapore is a slow grower, and grows differently depending on tank conditions. Under a 32 watt, T8, 6500 K bulb, it gets pretty tall and the branches are thin. One of the plants I have is about 10 inches tall and has been growing for about two years.

Branches occasionally break off and float to the top of the tank. If this happens, the branch will attach to whatever is floating. Closer to the light, the branches will grow much thicker and eventually block the light. I have Java fern and Cryptocoryne planted in the gravel, so they prefer less light.

Singapore grows best in extremely clean water. I change half the tank water weekly and dose a good hydroponics liquid fert.

It's a very nice looking plant and great cover for livebearer fry.

B

Back
Top Bottom