Small brown spots on plants (hygros?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtd1216

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've noticed that a couple of my plants (i think are some sort of hygro) have tiny brown spots on them after planting them about 4 days ago.... i read somewhere that it could be due to higher nitrate levels, but i ran a test and 0ppm. Any other ideas? My tank is a 20g high without CO2 with eco complete substrate

well, after reading the "updating wpg rule" post, i'm not quite sure now. I have a Coralife fixture with two 14w T5s.. Seemingly i have less than 2 wpg, but the recent post says otherwise.

I'm not dosing any ferts right now, I just started up the tank and planted the plants about a 4 days ago. a few people said that it wouldn't be necessary for quite sometime when using eco-complete to dose

Lastly, I haven't added any fish yet, i'm waiting a week or so then i will add a few SAEs

Is it hard to remove or does it brush of easily?

Brush of easy = Diatoms, common in new tanks and will go away on their own if a few weeks.

Hard to remove = BBA (Black Brush Algae, Black Beard Algae, etc), a real pain and often caused by fluctuating CO2 levels.

jtd1216 said:
i read somewhere that it could be due to higher nitrate levels, but i ran a test and 0ppm.

Oppm Nitrate is BAD in a planted tank... you'll only encourage algae. You need to add nitrate; shoot for a target of 10-15 ppm.

Read the fertilization sticky at the top of this forum for more info

good thing you brought that to my attention, thanks... (a bit of a noob) is this possibly my problem? Btw, the spots do not rub off, they seem to be brown spots in the leaves

definately try getting your nitrates up. if the tank is small enough then seachem nitrogen would be a good purchase, or KNO3 if you want to start dry ferts from gregwatson.com.

Sorry if there is some confusion, I'm working on typing up more detail to it, it's a theory, not a "rule".. but it does seem to make sense.. (at least to me, but I always like others to agree :D)

Back
Top Bottom