Small Rimless Planted vs Large Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently, I have 10g medium tech planted tank and a 3g lowtech planted tank.

I am now deciding on a 3rd tank. I can't decide if I want to get a 20g long and actually be able to get a few fish, or if I want to get a small starfire tank and get few fish.

Tell me what you think, and why!

What's your budget and what are your goals? Gonna go high tech or keep it low?

Sent from my iPad using science

Get a 60cm rimless (17g, aka: 60p).. IMO, it's one of the best footprints for planted tank scapes. When scaped right, it can appear to be much larger than it is. Also being only 14" tall, you'll be able to squeeze a good amount of PAR for fixtures that aren't the highest in output. So you'll save money with that in mind, plus 24" long lamps are priced less than longer ones.

Mine is ADA, but Mr. Aqua has a regular glass (with a slight green tint) for less, and a low iron high clarity version for a little more. It's essentially an ADA 60p clone.

Last edited:
+1 to the 60p! I have the Mr. Aqua one and am very satisfied with its construction. If you're in the mood for something a little unusual the 12g long presents fun challenges too!

Sent from my iPad using science

There is a gla 7 gallon rimless cube for about $50.00. I don't know about the quality though.

I would also do the 60P because it is a great beautiful tank. Decent room to do scaping and great depth. You could also go for the 60F and have a rock/driftwood sticking out of the water with emersed moss/carpet plants on it.

Back
Top Bottom