Snail infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emrs14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 10 gallon with platys and guppies. I've had a snail problem for a couple of months and I've been trying to manually pick them out but it's not working they're just multiplying. Is there any way I can get rid of them without having to empty my whole tank and boil everything? Thanks

You could get a Chinese alge eaters and they should eat the babies and start to limit your infestation. They eat like crazy. So it should work. I wish you the best of luck.

You could get a Chinese alge eaters and they should eat the babies and start to limit your infestation. They eat like crazy. So it should work. I wish you the best of luck.

Bad bad bad idea. They get big and are MEAN. Biological controls are never the best option, elbow grease is.
Pick out the snails and cut down on feeding.

They are not mean when that are young. And when they do get older they MAY get territorial. And once the problem is relieved you can put the Chinese algae eater back to PetCo. If you do empty your tank you will have to recycle it which would be an issue and time consuming

They are not mean when that are young. And when they do get older they MAY get territorial. And once the problem is relieved you can put the Chinese algae eater back to PetCo. If you do empty your tank you will have to recycle it which would be an issue and time consuming

Good intentions, but many times that doesn't end up happening. And no fish should ever be kept in a tank that is too small for it as an adult.

There are a couple good options. You could get 2 assissin snails if you "never" plan on putting any type of snail in the tank again. The assissins will kill and eat all the other snails.

Option 2 is very simple. Get a glass jar, then cut a slice of zucchini about 1/4" thick, microwave it for a few seconds to make it slightly soft (you don't want it to be mush and fall apart so literally a couple 2-3 seconds should work). Rubberband it to a small flat rock or something that will hold the zucchini down since it will float, then lay it in the bottom of the jar. Put the jar on the substrate where it is easy for you to take it out. Be sure to lay the jar horizontally, don't stand it up. Do this once the lights are off, and even turn them off early so you can get a good start. In a couple hours reach in and carefully stand the jar upright so the snails fall to the bottom and lift the jar out. Dispose of the snails and put the jar back in. I don't know why snails like zucchini so much but they really do. You should be able to get tons of snails out and all it's going to cost is the price of a zucchini or two. I use this method if someone asks me for MTS snails.

Okay thank you. I've tried lettuce but they didn't seem to like it. And with the fish, there's not any pet stores that sell Chinese algae eaters.

Lettuce is a poor choice, it has to be a leaf lettuce and it has to really be softened under hot water for it to work well. Zucchini seems to be a snail magnet.

I vote for Assassin snails. And they won't gk after BIG snails, so as long as the snails you WANT are bigger, the assassins will do away with the unwanted little snails.

Okay zucchini got it. But if I get two assassin snails won't they just reproduce and I'll have the same problem all over again?

I don't believe they multiply very quickly but I don't keep them. And as for good snails I am referring to nerites and malaysian trumpet snails. Although not too long ago someone posted that an assissin snail they thought was dead killed a couple mystery snail they had put in the tank.

Okay zucchini got it. But if I get two assassin snails won't they just reproduce and I'll have the same problem all over again?

assassin self regulate. They can breed in freshwater but they are known to only reproduce according to food source.

Yes, they produce VERY slowly, and when they run outa snails to eat, they'll forage for what they need.

Assassin snails are awesome. My planted tank was once over run with MTS. I put three assassins in and they took care of that problem. They are cool to watch hunt down snails too.

Back
Top Bottom