Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, every day I count more snails in my tank.

At first, I wasn't bothered by their presence.. But I fear that they will soon overrun the tank.

Is there a humane way of eradicating them?

Once in a tank, is it ever possible to completely rid the tank of them?

So, every day I count more snails in my tank.

At first, I wasn't bothered by their presence.. But I fear that they will soon overrun the tank.

Is there a humane way of eradicating them?

Once in a tank, is it ever possible to completely rid the tank of them?

There are additives that completly get rid of invertebrates. This isn't humane but without it you won't ever get rid of them

Don't overfeed the tank, do frequent partial water changes, and you can get an assassin snail.

Some people stick a piece of lettuce in the tank at night and remove the lettuce with snails all over them the next morning. Repeat process until gone.

Don't overfeed the tank, do frequent partial water changes, and you can get an assassin snail.

Some people stick a piece of lettuce in the tank at night and remove the lettuce with snails all over them the next morning. Repeat process until gone.

You know, I didn't even think about that!

One of the easiest way's to trap them is get a glass jar that is a little long, lay it on the substrate on it's side, add an algae wafer slide all the way to the back of the jar, wait. As the swarm in wait until there are a lot and then right the jar underwater, remove, get snails out, and put back in tank. The thing is you have to watch because if you leave it overnight and expect to empty it in the morning often times the snails have eaten through the night and have wandered back into the tank by morning.

Never use chemicals to kill snails since most of the time the ingredients used will kill your plants also.

I have a silly question since I have never kept snails and just added a couple to a 100 liter tank (25 gal). I bought 3 snails today and have been watching the tank because the largest snail appears to be trying to get out. Is this normal ? Is there something like a snail guard I need to put in place ? Anyway despite this one snails actions I decided to name it Houdini - :ROFLMAO:

´Honestly I cant remember , there were about 50 of them in a tank at a lfs I found here .99 cents each. So I just grabbed a couple thinking snails are snails-- silly me. Ill go back on Monday and check Anyway this is what Houdini looks like currently gorging on an algae wafer.

Attachments

• 20130803_191654.jpg
    20130803_191654.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 56
That's a ramshorn snail. They are fine but will breed in an aquarium. I'm not sure they are trying to escape rather than just crawling around. I wouldn't worry about them.

One of the easiest way's to trap them is get a glass jar that is a little long, lay it on the substrate on it's side, add an algae wafer slide all the way to the back of the jar, wait. As the swarm in wait until there are a lot and then right the jar underwater, remove, get snails out, and put back in tank. The thing is you have to watch because if you leave it overnight and expect to empty it in the morning often times the snails have eaten through the night and have wandered back into the tank by morning.

Never use chemicals to kill snails since most of the time the ingredients used will kill your plants also.

Good suggestion. I like the lettuce idea too, Brian.

As for a "humane" means of disposal after they're caught...? I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but I'm one of those "catch & release" guys, even for household spiders, etc

Any options that don't involve termination?

Good suggestion. I like the lettuce idea too, Brian.

As for a "humane" means of disposal after they're caught...? I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but I'm one of those "catch & release" guys, even for household spiders, etc

Any options that don't involve termination?

Assassin snails are good for snail control and they look very cool. I wouldn't get a loach just to get rid of the snails.

You can start a dwarf puffer tank and feed the snails to them. It's mother nature and part of the food chain..the lives of the snails wouldn't be wasted. That's what I do actually :)

Back
Top Bottom