Snails & Plants Questions~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettafish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking into getting some snails for all my tanks, my bettas are looking a tad bored, especially the two in their 5g's. The website I'm looking into ordering from has only malaysian trumpet snails, and red ramhorn snails. I only have sand in one of my 5 tanks. Can MTS live in a tank without sand? Which one would be better? Could both co-exist? Any care tips? I havent had snails before.

Now, for the plants. All my tanks have flourescent lighting. I'm mainly looking to stuff the two 5g's with plants, so they have the Marineland Hex 5 flourescent light that came with them. These are my options of plants, since I can only order from this one website:

Red lotus, Banana plant, Creeping Jenny, Hygrophila - sunset, Hornwort, and Vallisneria.

Which of those could I get, do you think? I know all my lights are decent (esp. the two 15W in the 14g).

Any advice is appreciated! Sorry for the long post! :p I really want to order these things as soon as possible. Thanks again!

I'm a big fan of banana plants - I used to dislike them, but after I picked up 6 and tossed them in my tank and they turned practically neon green, I've grown to love them. I like not having to plant them for them to do well too.

I currently have MTS, ramshorn, mystery and nerite snails in a tank and they all do fine together. Red ramshorn are very striking with the right surroundings. A lot of people consider the MTS a nuisance but in a sand-bottomed that is well-kept I think they're a good thing to have.

MTS like to burrow in the sand...I do have them in a gravel tank but they do not multiple like in the sand tank.

You have what is considered low light so low light plants are what is called for. I have Banana plants in my med high light tanks and they do well. Go to plantgeek.com to research your plants.

In my experience, each tank is it's own environment and what does well in my 10g might not do well in my 20g. Just plant and see how they do.

I dont know about your area- but the lfs I deal with will give a bag full if trumpet and rams horn snails free for the asking, if they have them (and their plant tanks nearly always do).

I now ask fir some about once a month to keep our growing "herd" of assassin snails fed!

Haha I only wish I had an LFS near me! I'm in a really remote town...

Back
Top Bottom