Snails!!! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
Hope all finds you well! I have a snail epidemic and they are eating the heck out of certain plants. Dwarf lily the worst. How can I get rid of these pests? There are hundreds! they are very small and entered the tank from a potted plant years ago. I also have Black algae-ugh. Tank has Japonica and RCS shrimp and a few guppies.
55gal
co2
ferts
65wx2x10hrs

Also--Seems the knitting grid to sandwich Riccia makes sense for easy removal for trimming? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Cliff-NY

try putting in some zucchini or lettuce and they will gravitate toward the veggies and you can pull out the veggies and dispose of them. Might I suggest, however, that there are members on here who have snail eating fish, myself included, and would gladly pay shipping and handling if you could send them to us. I have two dwarf puffers and snails are their staple diet. I have a 5g tank that I have turned into a snail tank just for feeding the puffers. Would gladly love more snails if you wanna go to the trouble of shipping them. :)

You can also add a few snail eating fish yourself. I would suggest 3-5 smaller Loaches, Kubotai or Zebra. I prefer Kubotai. They will take care of the snail issue ASAP. They are one of my fav fish. Very handsome and active. They should stay in the 3"-4" range. I have never kept them with shrimp before but I have a feeling the loaches would harm the shrimp.

snails

Folkls--thanks for your feedback so far. I had some awesome fish in my tank a few years ago included a least 3 species of loaches, cory cats, angels, neons blah-blah blah. When I went to a planted tank the corys and loaches up ended all my carpet plants. I gave all my fish to a neighbor and now have one huge female guppy and 3 males. (aside from the shrimp) I cant catch the female to remove her. :( I give all babies to my neighbor.

Send me you address and i will send you any snails i can attract with a piece of lettuce.

If they are regular rams horn or pond snail you can easily get them in the day with some type of vegetable weighted down. MTS is easiest at night to catch that way. Don't get Anentome helena aka assassin snails since they have been known to grab a few shrimp too.

Back
Top Bottom