Snails in plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyb471

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I purchased some new plants for my tank once I had planted them I noticed two really small snails on them. I know that there snails in with the plants at the shop when I brought them but is this common with buying plants at your local fish shop ?

I'd be more Surprised if you didn't have snails on them. Happens all the time, some snails are good though so it's not all bad

It's kinda common, just depends. A lot of lfs do have pest snails in their tanks, although I don't think it is intentional most of the time. They just tend to be hard to get rid without putting a snail eater or doing some kind of treatment.

If you don't want them, get a turkey baster and get them out now.....I had gotten some plants that had POND snails (tank can become infested quickly) on them....I got all I could before putting in tank and then used my baster to get the rest...I STALKED my talk until days went by and I didn't see anymore..lol.....and yes that's been over 2 months ago...and NO unwanted snails in my tank..yayyyyy
I was told plants can be dipped/soaked in 50/50 water and peroxide to rid parasites and pest...IDK if it works or not

Thank you for the advice I want to keep them as I was going to buy some any way . How long do do they take take to get big ?

Pond snails, if that is what you got, don't get overly big, not like mystery snails you see for sale in may fish stores.

Rivercats they are pink apple snails if it helps you

Rivercats they are pink apple snails if it helps you

Wow, well then we had an apple snail for years and he grew very quickly plus we helped him along as we always put him the the smaller of the ponds every summer. He was almost softball size when he fell and cracked his shell so bad we couldn't repair it and he died. He was a really cool snail.

As long as they are ok in my tank I'm happy

I forgot to tell you that with Apple snails it's good to feed them at least 2x a week and maybe 3 when they get bigger. They like many veggies but I found leaf lettuce held under hot running water till it softens and weighted down with something in the bottom of the aquarium works well or hung on a veggie clip. Zucchini slices microwaved a few seconds until it is slightly soft and again either clipped to the side of the tank or weighted down on the bottom is really well liked. Cucumbers, algae tablets, an occassional sinking shrimp pellet, and several other veggies are all eaten and needed to grow big healthy Apple snails.

And do watch Apple snails are really bad about climbing out of their tanks and going on walkabouts. In the winter ours used to get out and go walking. We used to follow his slime trail to find him. That is also how he got injuried and died. He got so big we couldn't find any type of lid, cover, or anything that he couldn't move to get out of the tank. They can be alot of fun but be sure to watch that no fish nips at his breathing tube.

Back
Top Bottom