snails on petsmart tank- ID? death to my tank? ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justinkramp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought plants from petsmart two weeks ago out of their plant tank and these plants have been growing like wildfire. Great stuff. Now, these plants apparently had snails on them or snail eggs at the time of purchase. By now I have three snails that I noticed (after 2 weeks) and I would like to know what type of snail they are. If anyone is familiar with snail ID or petsmart plants that carry snails and their eggs, I appreciate your response.
I just don't want the snails to take over the tank because of the fast reproducing species they may or may not be. It's a 20 gal. Tank in case you are wondering.
I have four danios, three females one male, 2 guppies, 3 neon tetras because two passed away, one of which got sucked into my filter intake by the tail fin... Added mosquito netting to cover the intake and secured with a rubber band. i also have two plecos about 2 inches each, they seem to do very well though two of them is a bit over the top and smaller plecos would have made more sense. they are rubber lip plecos. FYI I didn't buy the second pleco, it was placed in the tank by a family member who saw it on sale at the local pet store and decided to get it. I was not very thrilled about it.

Anyways, thanks for all the help in advance!!

Justin

Attachments

• IMG_9658.jpg
    IMG_9658.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 88
Bladder snail. If you keep the tank tidy (don't overfeed), they won't overpopulate.

I keep other snails and don't want bladder snail competition, so I kill them with planting tweezers and assassin snails.

Bladder snail. If you keep the tank tidy (don't overfeed), they won't overpopulate.

I keep other snails and don't want bladder snail competition, so I kill them with planting tweezers and assassin snails.

+1

Won't take over unless you feed way too much. Lots of fish eat them, so you can crush them and the fish will clean up.

I like the pond snails and such. They help keep the tank tidy and their population will help indicate if youre overfeeding or not.

Back
Top Bottom