So now I have algae...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsunshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK, so now I have algae....
I was warned!

Situation:
Light: 1.75wpg
Aq size: 20g high
Filter: Eheim 2213
Inhabitants: 5 Khuli, 6 neon tetras, 6 Harlequin rasboras (all young and small), dwarf gourami

Future hopes:
Plants: Java Fern, Anubia (first time plant)
Fish: algae eaters - 3 of panda cory?, oto?, other suggestion?

Question:
1. Will the introduction of a Java Fern and an Anubia likely outcompete the algae currently growing on the driftwood and rocks?
2. Are oto and panda corys suitable algae eaters - or algae eaters at all (I'm not sure about panda corys)?

Is there something else I should know/do?

i dont think corys are algae eaters. not sure though. otos are awesome at eaating algae. anubias are slow growers and will prob grow algae on them. most of the time that you have algae, the reason is a nutrient deficiency. so basicly you are probobly running out of something. are you supplying nutrients? i'm sure you dont have co2.

we really cant help you at all unless we know what kind of algae you are growing. take a look here and try to match it up James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

I know our corys nibble algae wafers but I've never seen them actively graze on algae. Otos are really the best IMO. They can be fun to watch too. Our's like to line up on the front glass when the lights come on in the morning, rest of the day they eat then at night when the main lights go off and the moonlight comes on it's back to "line dancin"

I find with every batch of Oto's I have they just hide all day under decor at the back of tank. They dont seem to touch much algae, only my Bristlenose Catfish does and my Amano Shrimp.

I always find the best answer with algae problems is that if you are that concerned then start EI dosing. Its the best way to control algae even in none co2 and low planted tanks.

otos pretty much only eat algae. just because you cant see them do it doesnt mean it isnt happening. when the lights are out i can see 12 of them sucking on the glass in my tank

What is your lighting period? How much / often are you feeding?

Cories aren't going to significantly eat algae. Adding plants can only help.

What is your lighting period? How much / often are you feeding?

Cories aren't going to significantly eat algae. Adding plants can only help.

adding plants AND ferts. es muy importante

adding plants AND ferts. es muy importante

The stocking in the tank is taking care of the ferts. To dose with the current situation is to invite a major bloom IMO. Otos should only be stocked in an established aquarium and are picky eaters. Adding any animal to take care of a problem is a bad choice I think. Better to find the root of the problem and take care of it versus adding something to take care of onbe problem only to create another.

excess ferts are not a problem. take ei for instance. however lack of nutrients do cause algae issues for sure. i'm not saying you have to go nuts and add tons of ferts. but you do need to make sure there is enough. remeber that algae thrives in conditions that plants cant.

Back
Top Bottom