So.. uh, I need some help :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I went out to petsmart and petco (I know, BAD) but I wanted some pH kits and temperature stickers and nothing too major.. bought a couple of decorations and then bought two plants in plastic tubes that the staff member assured me would live completely fine submerged. I was skeptical but they were EXTREMELY cheap and I got them both for about two dollars a piece. One was labeled as an Umbrella Plant, which I have found the scientific name to be Spathiphyllum wallisii, googled it and essentially a peace lily. UGH number one.
So I'll ask you plant experts, if I plant this in my tank how long will it live? Or should I just plant it around our outdoor pond and cut my losses.
The second plant I have concerns about was labeled as a Peacock Fern, and as I dearly want a Java Fern, I thought I might get this variety a try. The scientific name is Selaginella wildenowii.
Same questions with this one. How long will it last in my tank? Should I bother or plant it outside?
Now at petco I bought several aquatic plants that I had kept in the past and KNEW were aquatic but saw another plant that was very large and had two varieties in one pot for five dollars, which was a steal. It was completely submerged in the tank where they kept the "aquatic plants" I have no idea the name of the plant, much less the scientific name. I had another member on my other thread tell me it was a ribbon plant and would eventually rot and ruin the quality of my tank. As I've already planted it I'll leave it for now, if it starts to rot it will be removed immediately, but I have no idea what the other plant is with it.
I have a picture here, it's not very good quality, just a quick snapshot from my iPhone. If you'd like more detailed photo I can do that.
img_1242357_0_60a344110913c5d1c63c5cb24ad19742.jpg

Oh, and in case you were wondering, this is a new tank that is quickly completing it's cycle. So there's a little feeder goldfish to the side of the picture as a test fish. It's a 55gallon tank. Please help me out, plant gurus!
-Morgan

anacharis on the left (true aquatic), ribbon plant or Dracena sanderiana on the right (not aquatic).

I've seen those plants. Neither are aquatic(EDIT: The one on the right is.. its anacharis). Neither of the ones listed are either. I'd yank them and either put them in a terrarium or toss them. The only truly aquatic plants I've seen at petsmart in those tubes are Anubias and Amazon Sword... None of the others, to my knowledge, are aquatic. I would steer clear of those. If you want some java fern, let me know and I'll mail you some for the cost of shipping.

EDIT:fort is right. Not sure why I didn't see that. First look made me think it was a fern that they sell in a tube. Anacharis is great. You can cut it half in two and have 2 plants... You'll eventually have it running out of the tank ;)

yeah, I have anacharis in one of my other tanks and love it, so I added a few bunches to this one as well.
Shame about the other plant though. I'll keep it in until I add my real fish into the tank. Do you know if it's toxic for fish to eat? I could buy a pleco and let him munch on it as revenge.

Please don't get a pleco :)

I don't think it is toxic. It will last a couple of months, but once it starts to rot, it will cause an ammonia spike and could create some water clarity issues...

Ugh, this sucks. But I've learned my lesson. At least we have an outdoor pond where these plants will live happily. :)
I'll definitely be getting some more AQUATIC plants soon. I'll do my research.

Morgie said:
I could buy a pleco and let him munch on it as revenge.

If you do seriously want a pleco, there are smaller varieties. The common is the one who grows huge. Rubberlips and bristlenoses stay relatively small. The bristlenose is about five inches in length, with the rubberlip being a similar length.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

If you do seriously want a pleco, there are smaller varieties. The common is the one who grows huge. Rubberlips and bristlenoses stay relatively small. The bristlenose is about five inches in length, with the rubberlip being a similar length.

Yeah, if you go to my other thread here. you can see my stocking ideas, which include a bristle or rubber lip pleco. :> I'm more of a fish keeper.. I've just gotten into the aquatic plant scene and made a newbie mistake. I'm just lucky I've got another place for these plants to live other than the garbage.

Okay.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

I will say one thing. I feel into the same trap buying plants from my local Petsmart. There was a type of fern listed as simply "aquatic fern" that I bought a couple of months back. The type I bought was about 3" in height. Ironically, they had another "variety" of aqua fern that was about 6" tall that they called semi-aquatic. When I made the purchase I really wasn't interested in actually keeping plants. I was only looking for a food source for my snails and was expecting them to actually die. Having said that, the fern is still alive today. The snails did go to work on the dead leaves as I had anticipated, but the plant is still here. The point I'm trying to make is give the plant a chance, you may never know. Because of that experience, I've started to develop an interest in keeping a planted tank.

img_1242433_0_510386e8b86f98559c26907412d73a7a.jpg

Here's a clearer shot of the plant set. Can you tell what those broad leaf plants are and if they're aquatic or not? I'm assuming they're not, but I can have some hope of keeping a plant or two.

that's a relief. I wish I had a pond too. :) I bought a variegated plant (green and white) too from petco before and it was so cute but it slowly rots. So it was not worth it.

I cannot tell for sure, but based on the way the leaves look (waxy, multi-colored) I don't think it is a true aquatic.

Back
Top Bottom