Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Soaking Plants

I remember reading somewhere on this site that you can soak live plants in a solution to remove snails that may have hitchiked. What is the solution?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:05 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm pretty sure it is potassium permanganate. Do a google search and you'll find lots of info on it. I remember reading that it's a respiratory irritant, so I've never used it because of that. If you try it, use in a well-ventilated area and be careful. Here's a link: http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/...rmanganate.htm

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks An t-iasg. I rinsed and shook them in luke warm water and ran my fingers down them to clean all of the gunk that was on them at the lfs. I think I pulled off any snails if they were there. I couldn't imagine putting those plants in the tank without cleaning them first. They didn't look so hot at the lfs, but they will rebound and fill the tank. I am so excited to have a fully planted tank. I added the Anubias and hopefully will be able to find some Java Moss. I've searched every lfs I've been to and noone has it. It's getting frustrating. Ordering online seems like a waste because shipping is an arm and a leg compared to the plant price.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I just rinse new plants under the faucet when I get them too. I bought a few of those foil meatloaf/bread pans at the grocery store, and I fill that with some water, add a few drops of dechlor, and soak the plants in there for a few hours. Sometimes the little snails aren't apparent right away, so after a few hours in the pan, they seem to come out. I pull off the snails, rinse some more, and run my fingers up and down them too, hoping to dislodge any snail eggs. I haven't had any problems with snails by carefully soaking in plain water and then looking through the plant while rinsing. It can be a bit time-consuming, but it's worth it to get the snails off. I use the foil pans again as I'm trimming the plants. I put the plants in the pan while I finish up with the water change, and then I trim the plants and put back. With my hygro stem plants, they need to be pulled out of the tank every 3 or so weeks, trimmed, and replanted.

I can't believe how much shipping is for plants! The actual cost may not be that much, but for the value of the plant, it is a lot, like you said. I'm lucky that the hatchery I go to has 4 big tanks of plants!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oak, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com