Soil is white and goopy, planted tank w Chinese seed and lava rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazook

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found a 20g for $5 at an awesome saltwater store nearby. Previously I ordered some plant seeds from China on a phone app 2 months ago and finally got them after dreaming of how I would scape this tank. It's shabby, but is still a good practice tank, so I filled the bed with 1/2 inch layer of miracle gro/ organic soil, then a plastic grid, then another smothering of soil mix. I added in a couple of local floral specimens from a waterfall in Ferguson, N.C.1491893161246.jpg

I sprinkled a teaspoon of seeds, and topped off with some lava rock from my local hardware store, then adding an additional tsp of seeds.

Day 1-3 I began to notice a white gooey film developing on top of the soil and water, but still I continue with the daily regimen.1491892731020.jpg

I have done a somewhat decent job of balancing the moisture and fertz/o2, and after 4 days I can finally see growth (seemed to happen in a 12 hour span).1491892781206.jpg

I'm wondering if the soil is no good, I'm ok with doing heavy maintenance in the next few months, but I'm not sure if I can house any fish once it's cycled because of this goop.

Learning as I go, any advice would be appreciated.

I found a 20g for $5 at an awesome saltwater store nearby. Previously I ordered some plant seeds from China on a phone app 2 months ago and finally got them after dreaming of how I would scape this tank. It's shabby, but is still a good practice tank, so I filled the bed with 1/2 inch layer of miracle gro/ organic soil, then a plastic grid, then another smothering of soil mix. I added in a couple of local floral specimens from a waterfall in Ferguson, N.C.View attachment 297826

I sprinkled a teaspoon of seeds, and topped off with some lava rock from my local hardware store, then adding an additional tsp of seeds.

Day 1-3 I began to notice a white gooey film developing on top of the soil and water, but still I continue with the daily regimen.View attachment 297824

I have done a somewhat decent job of balancing the moisture and fertz/o2, and after 4 days I can finally see growth (seemed to happen in a 12 hour span).View attachment 297825

I'm wondering if the soil is no good, I'm ok with doing heavy maintenance in the next few months, but I'm not sure if I can house any fish once it's cycled because of this goop.

Learning as I go, any advice would be appreciated.

You need the cap the soil with gravel or it will all turn very bad. Humidity needs to be maintained and it will need 10 hours of light per day with a light spray twice a day

Also I think u will find that type of lava rock will turn muddy/break apart and cause issues

Ok thanks. I put some regular old black gravel in between the lava rocks but maybe not enough of it... I've heard differing opinions about this type of lava rock, but it's my filter media in pretty much all of my filters, and has done ok so far. If the soil does indeed go bad, I may individually remove the lava rocks covered with the seed and move them to an already established tank.

Ok thanks. I put some regular old black gravel in between the lava rocks but maybe not enough of it... I've heard differing opinions about this type of lava rock, but it's my filter media in pretty much all of my filters, and has done ok so far. If the soil does indeed go bad, I may individually remove the lava rocks covered with the seed and move them to an already established tank.

Yea u want atleast an inch layer of gravel over the top or I recon you'll have some serious algae/mould issues. Also pays to completely fill and drain it a few times just to get rid of some of the ammonia in the soil [emoji106]

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna let these doodads sprout another day then start to fill it.

Back
Top Bottom