Soil substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbuck

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all I am thinking of changing my substrate from gravel to a soil of some sort. Does anyone have any recomendations for either a soil made for aquarium use or if I can use a particular type from a garden centre.

I know that Dustin from the youtube channel "DustinsFishTanks" uses some kind of Miracle Gro, he shows exactly which he uses on one of his videos. He swears by it and all his planted tanks are dirt substrate and they look awesome.

Make sure there are no pesticides or non-organic things inside. I know he uses miracle grow organic something or another:) oh and it also helps to sift out the bigger clumps:) good luck!

If you get Miracle-Gro, make sure to add Red clay into the soil. I made the mistake and never did, and i now i have to wedge Red clay into my tank, and its a little messy.

Look up "mineralized top soil". It is in every way superior to just dirt or soil under a cap, but is a bit more labor intensive.

Back
Top Bottom