Some but not all leaves turning yellow and glass like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
IN my newly planted 15 column tank(its been running about 2 weeks now) Some of the leaves are turning yellow(or even staying green in a case or two), they look like glass and kinda melt away. My tall Vallisneria Italian is the biggest one, my Cryptocoryne Wendtii and Becketii is doing it but its almost always a leaf ner the bottom, i figure thats just from self pruning or what not. But the Valli has been going crazy its right in the light and its just melting away.

Ive been pruning them but just seems to go more and more.

The substrate is Eco Complete, the light is a 20W T5 Full Spec light. Which should be 1+ wpg if Ive done my math right should be like 1.12 or 1.15

Ive been feeding them c02 while my gas system is being shipped. my bulbs have taken off like mad, my Rotala Wallichii is brown but growing really well, even my Pink Hippo Grass , which I was to understand is really hard to gorw, has doubled in sizes. its just the Vryptos and Valli that is doing this.

Anyone have any ideas? wait it out? The tank is still cycling, I dont know if thats a part, but Im at a lost.

How are you feeding co2? If you're using a liquid carbon source be sure not to be to heavy handed. What's your temp? Did you use tap water or RO water to start your tank?

Column tanks are notorious for having very little flow at the bottom. They're also hard to light because the tops are short but the tanks are tall. This can make it hard for the roots and low plants to "breathe" so to speak from lack of flow and photosynthesize from low light at the bottom. Also, you didn't mention if you were using plant fertilizer.

If you are using liquid carbon, like Flourish Excel, it can melt Val's. Don't know if that is the case with the other plant. I use glutaraldehyde which is the active ingredient in Excel and have Corkscrew Val which it has not caused any melting (for months). I don't know why some people's Val melts with liquid carbon and others don't but this could be your problem!

co2 is API PLant Food, for fret I just added a cap ful of the API liq. Fert. tho I didnt think you had to add any with Eco Complete.

Im actually starting to think maybe its too much light if that is even poss. They seem to be in a lot better shape at night when I come home than in the day

Water was Tap Water with Prime, temp is 79(set for my puffers when they get here)

API leaf zone is potassium and iron. It is not a complete fertilizer. CO2 is not a fertilizer nor is liquid carbon. It gives no nutrients to the plants, the simpliest way I can explain it is that aquatic plants extract CO2 from the water column and use it for photosynthesis. Same for liquid carbon. Eco-complete is a substrate and has nothing to do with fertilizing the water column. You need the light with CO2 and a good fertilizer. I use dry fertilizers from Green Leaf Aquariums because it is the most economical. Seachem makes a good line of plant products. Have you tested your water? What are you nitrate and phosphate readings? Both are macro nutrients needed by plants.

Back
Top Bottom