Something wrong with java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believe this is a java fern. Is something wrong with it? It's been in the tank about a week. Dosing with c02 2-4 times a week and using root tabs in play sand substrate.

Attachments

• image-2334520294.jpg
    image-2334520294.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 71
Hello Sid...

Aquatic plants take weeks to get used to new tank conditions. It's natural for them to look poorly and die back. After some time, new growth will start, typically from the small, black areas on the back of the original plant.

Java fern is a slow grower, that doesn't require high end lighting or expensive commercial fertilizers. I have this plant in subdued light and no fertilizers other than what the fish produce and it grows fine.

I'd suggest giving the new plant some time to get used to your tank water and back off all the fertilizers. Keep the tank water pure with large, frequent water changes. Changing half the water every week to 10 days will give you the best chance for success with the fish and plants.

Just a thought.

B

It doesn't matter. If the rhizome is buried in any substrate the plant will die. You need to remove it and tie it to DW or a rock. It is a slow grower even when dosing liquid carbon.

It doesn't matter. If the rhizome is buried in any substrate the plant will die. You need to remove it and tie it to DW or a rock. It is a slow grower even when dosing liquid carbon.
always listen to river cats when it comes to plants, always! Haha! Great advice river!

Does this just apply to my java fern? Does it affect Anubis nangi, wisteria, or amazon swords?

It applies to the anubias too. Swords are root feeders and get their nutrients from the substrate give them root tabs and they will be great planted. Wisteria will do well planted or floated But I have noticed that mine is doing really well planted

Back
Top Bottom