Spider wood centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm getting my new 7g cube ready to plant. I went with a Flourite and EcoComplete mix for the substrate. I'm not sure about the location of the spider wood stump. Also, should I thin the branches out a bit?
FWIW I really wish I hadn't gone with Flourite. It's so messy. I never had this cloudy issue when I just used EcoComplete. It won't clear up! I've changed the water, rinsed the filter floss, and waited....still a soupy mess.
Any suggestions on the stump would be appreciated. I've got lots of plants to fill this cube up! :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451429873.169361.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I'm thinking some Christmas moss growing around those branches will be sweet!

Thanks! I'm thinking some Christmas moss growing around those branches will be sweet!

Really dig that spiderwood stump! I'd leave the branches be if it were up to me...add a bag of carbon and filter floss to the filter,that should help clear things up...

sit in silence...

Really dig that spiderwood stump! I'd leave the branches be if it were up to me...add a bag of carbon and filter floss to the filter,that should help clear things up...

sit in silence...

The water has cleared and it's looking so much better. I put a 12" Finnex planted+ on this tank. I placed root tabs in the sub, but it's been ages since I've dosed a tank so I have to read up on it again.

Do dry ferts expire? I've had mine for about 3 years. They've been kept in air tight glass containers and I have quite a bit left.

The water has cleared and it's looking so much better. I put a 12" Finnex planted+ on this tank. I placed root tabs in the sub, but it's been ages since I've dosed a tank so I have to read up on it again.

Do dry ferts expire? I've had mine for about 3 years. They've been kept in air tight glass containers and I have quite a bit left.

I would leave the branches as they are. Looks great IMO. On the ferts, I'm not sure if they expire. I would guess they will lose some of their strength over time though.

The dry ferts will be fine provided that they had been well kept...I've been working off of the same batch for over 2 yrs.
Although I have stockpile in wait...

sit in silence...

I'll use them and see what happens.
So far...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451764175.845223.jpg

That looks amazing! It cleared up nicely. That is a great shape and I love all the branches.

When I had mine starting out it got wierd slime gel on it and I put in a couple of Ramshorns and a couple of hungry Mystery Snails and they ate it up clean. Just in case.

That looks amazing! It cleared up nicely. That is a great shape and I love all the branches.

When I had mine starting out it got wierd slime gel on it and I put in a couple of Ramshorns and a couple of hungry Mystery Snails and they ate it up clean. Just in case.

Thankfully the slime issue has passed. My dear friend that owns the fish store I bought this piece from kept it (and didn't sell it despite many offers) in her display tank long enough for it to pass. So thankfully I won't have to deal with that pesky slime issue. I typically prefer Manzanita or Malaysian dw, but this piece caught my eye.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom