splitting an anubia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 anubias that have been in my 20g for about a year now. The rhizomes have grown from about an inch to about 4 inches long. Any advice on how to trim these into smaller specimens for replanting? Someone told me to just take a razor blade to them and divide it into one inch sections. Is it reallt that easy?

Yeah, I've done it and it worked fine. I'd just make sure each section has a reasonable number of healthy leaves, like 5 maybe.

The main thing is to ensure that you get a clean cut so that it's easier for the plant to heal. In addition each section should have a nice healthy set of leaves and roots. I prefer to keep each section at least 2" long for Anubias Nana.

I thought I would have to use an axe to split my Anubias :) Those sure are tough little suckers. I can see why they aren't likely to be damaged by fish trying to eat them.

I have propagated mine once now and will be doing it again in the near future. I agree with >1" segment with some healthy leaves. Also completely agree with using a NEW razor blade as you want a very clean cut and will likely get a jagged end if using anything other than a new sharp blade. From my understanding the roots they send out are primarily anchor roots and do not play a role in nutrient uptake (I may be wrong however), but if the part of the rhizome has them attached, I definately wouldn't cut them off (but you can shorten them since they can get REALLY long).

I was shocked when I rearranged my tank after a year with the anubias. There were roots 10" long. Tough white tubers with small hair-like roots coming off of them. It really stirred up the tank since the roots pulled up probably a pound of PFS. I had to trim off 3/4 of them just to get the plant back into the substrate!

Yeah, I just pulled up an Anubias coffeefolia to mount on a little driftwood, and the roots were twice as big as the plant at least. On the other hand, I have an Anubias afzelli whose roots barely seem to grow at all for some reason.

majolo said:
Yeah, I just pulled up an Anubias coffeefolia to mount on a little driftwood, and the roots were twice as big as the plant at least. On the other hand, I have an Anubias afzelli whose roots barely seem to grow at all for some reason.

Both in the same tank? I'm sure substrate plays a huge factor in the root development. My tanks are PFS and make it very easy for plants to root with both fine and thick roots, something like coarse gravel or stones would probably make it more difficult for them.

Yep, same tank, with just boring gravel in it (which I want to change at some point). I was really surprised by the coffeefolia roots.

Back
Top Bottom