Splitting light time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just recently started my first planted aquarium (a 55 gallon low light setup). I currently have my lights on for 9 hours a day with no algae issues so far, but its only been running a week and is currently in the middle of a fishless cycle with ammonia.

I am trying to find out if I can split my lighting time. Right now it is on a timer for 9am to 6pm. However I would like to have it on for a few hours in the morning and a few hours at night. If I keep it on its current cycle I am going to be feeding the fish in the morning with no light on (is this going to be an issue) and then it is only on for 15 minutes when I get home from work.

I have read mixed reviews on splitting light times for planted aquariums and I was wondering if anyone has had success or failure with dark periods in their lighting?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I rotated 6 hours on / off for my planted aquariums for quite a while and never had any issues because of it. Neither the plants nor fish seemed to care.

If you have plants be sure and make one of the photo periods at least 4 hrs long. This will give the plants time enough to crank up their photosynthesis and sustain them for the day. OS.

Back
Top Bottom