staghorn algae problem ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have problems with staghorn algae in my 2 months old freshwater 20 g high planted tank. It grows mainly in the upper part of the tank on baby java fern leaves...

I know that it could be due to excess phosphates in my water but how could I tell ? If I get the test kit, what kind of results should I be concern about ??

Could they grow because of something else ??

I really can't stand thoses staghorn algae anymore. I keep taking them out of the leaves of my plants to see them grows back couple of hours later... :?

Should I try to use theses filter sponge to get rid of "the unwanted" algae ?? Does anybody ever tried this ??

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24351;category_id=3767

Well Melissa, apparently this is the bane of the hobby. I'm struggling with the same thing. Algae is caused from light and a nutrient imbalance. Discovering exactly what nutrients are out of whack seems to be the challenging part.

You can test easily for phosphates and nitrates. Do you have readings on those? The other macro and micro nutrients are much harder to get a handle on. Are you using any ferts at all? One thing that might be helpful is to get a report from your local water company. They will provide you a breakdown of exactly what is in your tap water.

Back
Top Bottom