Starter plant assortment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason the Lost

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking in the other thread and didn't really see the packs mentioned and the ones at aquariumplant.com don't give you lighting options. I'm looking to start off the tank with low light and no CO2...just to start with anyway and live aquaria actually sorts their "packs" by lighting needs.

Is this worth it or would anyone recommend elsewhere?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2146

Thanks, I think the other one might be a better value as It'll be a 55 gallon and at last I can guage low light and tank size. I'll look around some more.

The live aquaria package includes microsword and cabomba...both of which need at least 2wpg to do well.

The one Xzap posted is all low light plants.

Would you recommendd getting 2 of those packs then for a 55 gallon? or would that be too many plants to introduce into a new tank? I'll be using eco complete as substrate.

OK, I'm sure there will be plenty of room left in a 55 gallon then, especially since they'll initially be smaller and I'm sure a few will probably not make it.

A question on cycling with adding that many plants though...

I place the substrate, and plants and fill with water, I'll use my filter media to get a jump on the cycle. My best bet at this time is fishless cycling? Without the bioload of the fish...will that many plants be able to survive the cycle?

I'd much rather plant the whole thing at once and do it this way...but if theres a problem doing it this way...

If you "seed" the tank, you can add a small amount of fish to keep up the ammonia source. Seeding allows you to re-establish a new filter without having to go fishless.

Plants can also be added, since the filter will begin to function as a normally estabished filter. You may have at worst a "mini-cycle", which will only occur if you add too many or not enough fish. For a 55, I would get a least 6 tetras or an equal amount of fish of that size.

Back
Top Bottom