Starting a new planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loubie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 55 gallon tank and I would like to get some information before i start putting it together. I want to do a planted tank but i have a few questions. I am curious which fish would do best with planted tanks? i read for example that goldfish would uproot the plants and make the tank look messy which is not what i'm looking for. I would like to know what fish would go well with what plants and what lighting and such i would need to get this up and running. Thanks for any advice!

loubie said:
I just got a 55 gallon tank and I would like to get some information before i start putting it together. I want to do a planted tank but i have a few questions. I am curious which fish would do best with planted tanks? i read for example that goldfish would uproot the plants and make the tank look messy which is not what i'm looking for. I would like to know what fish would go well with what plants and what lighting and such i would need to get this up and running. Thanks for any advice!

Fish to avoid ?
Silver Dollars
Hatchet Fish
Large Plecos
Med to large Cichlids
Crayfish ( except dwarf species )
Buenos Aires Tetras
Goldfish

There are many many fish that would LOVE a planted tank.

There are stickies http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/read-this-first-resources-and-references-83826.html

Also check out The Planted Tank and Aquatic Plant Central ( free to join both ).

Substrate and Lights and CO2 are your most importants.

Decide, do you want a low light low tech easy maintenance tank.

Or do you want a high light / high tech tank that will require more maintenance but will grow plants faster and you'll have even more plants to chose from. This set up will require pressurized CO2.

I'm a lazy low tech person. I admire High Tech tanks, but I don't have the $$$ , so I grow lots of Crypts and plenty of low/med light species.

My silver hatchet fish isn't even interested in plants. In fact the ONLY thing he will eat is flake food. He won't even eat live brine shrimp. They also have very small mouths. I personalty have never heard of silver hatchet fish being a problem with plants. IME

Bbush said:
I thought they liked floating plants. I am thinking about getting some marbleds.

That is possible, I don't have any floating plants so i can't really say whether or not they will eat the floating plants. I love my hatchet fish! He always just minds his own business. Make sure you have a good lid these guys like to jump, and they are good at it too! (Lost 2 before i bought a lid) :(

That is why I wanted the floating plants. Thought it might prevent jumping? I also am waiting on my LFS to get more in.

I don't know how well the plats will stop them from jumping. If you have a lot of floating plants then your plants below won't get very much light. Oh! One fish I would avoid if I were you (in addition to what was listed) rosy barbs. Mine like to eat fine leaved plants.

Back
Top Bottom