Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to Laird-and-Dad
Starting a planted tank

Hi everyone! I'm finally ready to start my tank. I was going to do do a high light, CO2 (DIY for now), and was looking for some recommendations for some nice, high light plants (or low light) that would go well in my tank. I have a sand substrate, if that helps any. I already have an anubias nana, and some Marino moss. Here's a picture of the tank so far, though I'm not too happy with the hard scape on the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415861453.772808.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	255649

Right now, I'm thinking of a nice carpet plant for the front, and then a dense plant for the background to give it a jungle type feel.

As far as stocking, I was thinking about a pair of GBR and 4-6 zebra danios (maybe more). Any other ideas for fish? I'll be getting fish and plants this week (hopefully).

Also, what chemical supplements do I need for the plants? I currently have flourish and root tabs. Anything else?

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did you use hardscape pieces in your sand? If not it will likely even out by the pressure of the water

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Old 11-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I would raise the water level to reduce the splash. The surface agitation will remove the CO2 you are adding. Adequate CO2 is important with higher lighting. I did DIY for a year then got a pressurized system (more consistent CO2 output).
As for ferts, you might want to check out dry ferts from Greenleaf Aquariums (http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html). Comprehensive and economical.
Pretty much any stem plant can be used along the back wall. I would go for 4-6 different species. With a variety of colors, leaf structures and shapes available, you could mix it up with contrasting colors and textures. For instance, go for an alternating green-red-green theme along the back. As for the fore ground, contrasting colors works well too. My favorite is star repens and AR mini. Technically both of these are stem plants and not true carpets, but they can be kept low via trimming.
I started out primarily with crypts and swords and when I upgraded my lighting I transitioned to stem plants because of the varieties.
As mentioned above, I would use some type of barrier (plastic cutting boards cut to fit) to keep the sand slopes in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Starting a planted tank

So it looks like your hard scape is a valley. I would make the middle a carpet with the right and left densely planted. If your going with high light, you might as well go for DHG for a carpet. Some vals or swords in the back corners with some crypts, s. repens, pogostemon helferi, etc in the front left and right corners. I would recommend daily dosages of metricide (make sure to slowly add a little more per day until around 4ml and starting at 0.5-1 ml to get the fish acclimated to it). It will help keep algae at bay. I would also add some plastic pieces to keep the sand as a valley shape.

Sent with my fingers

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to Laird-and-Dad
Any red plants?

So I'm thinking some stem plants in the sides and back (taller in the back, and shorter in the sides). Some swords and crypts for the midground, and DHG in the front. A little pebble path in the middle of the tank (long way) all the way back so there's a little clearing.

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, star, start, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com