Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Starting my first planted tank, looking for advice.

It's a 2.5 gallon tank, I'm getting a Finnex FugeRay LED cliplight, and a nano DB filter for it. I already have a nice piece of driftwood, Java moss (going for the bonsai look), and a beta. There are, of course, a ton of plants I want to put in there but I don't know what plants would be best for the environment. I have zero plant knowledge but I can't stand to look at a sad, plantless tank anymore. Please bestow your knowledge upon me. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Starting my first planted tank, looking for advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriddle View Post
It's a 2.5 gallon tank, I'm getting a Finnex FugeRay LED cliplight, and a nano DB filter for it. I already have a nice piece of driftwood, Java moss (going for the bonsai look), and a beta. There are, of course, a ton of plants I want to put in there but I don't know what plants would be best for the environment. I have zero plant knowledge but I can't stand to look at a sad, plantless tank anymore. Please bestow your knowledge upon me. Thank you!

Welcome to AA! It's generally pretty fun over here on the planted side so welcome here as well
You're asking for quite a bit without very much background at all. I humbly suggest doing a good bit of research on 'low tech' planted aquariums! You should get plant lists, care requirements and also general care of low tech tanks.
I can give you the gist of low techs however . With low techs you're looking at low lighting, no co2 and sometimes no fertilizers. I'm not personally familiar with the Finnex FugeRay but I do believe it's a perfect low light, light. For substrate I'm quite sure you can just do most anything however some substrates grow different plants better than others. As for fertilizers (ferts) I'm not personally acquainted with what people do for ferts when it comes to low techs...someone here should have better insight on that!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438061204.067049.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	275730 So I've got all of my equipment (yes my filter is huge for my little tank, but my manager gave it to me & it works so it will do) I'm planning on switching out my driftwood for something a little smaller so I can fit more plants but you get the idea... So questions, I'm really curious about what new plants to add, I'm leaning towards chilensis and was wondering what the general opinion on it was, also I'm going to be moving my betta to a new home and was hoping to add a few small fish. I like endlers but I was curious to see what you all would recommend for a 2.5 gallon. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Tags
advice, first planted tank, plant, planted, planted tank, star, start, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com