Starting my first planted tank, looking for advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hriddle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's a 2.5 gallon tank, I'm getting a Finnex FugeRay LED cliplight, and a nano DB filter for it. I already have a nice piece of driftwood, Java moss (going for the bonsai look), and a beta. There are, of course, a ton of plants I want to put in there but I don't know what plants would be best for the environment. I have zero plant knowledge but I can't stand to look at a sad, plantless tank anymore. Please bestow your knowledge upon me. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a 2.5 gallon tank, I'm getting a Finnex FugeRay LED cliplight, and a nano DB filter for it. I already have a nice piece of driftwood, Java moss (going for the bonsai look), and a beta. There are, of course, a ton of plants I want to put in there but I don't know what plants would be best for the environment. I have zero plant knowledge but I can't stand to look at a sad, plantless tank anymore. Please bestow your knowledge upon me. Thank you!

Welcome to AA! It's generally pretty fun over here on the planted side so welcome here as well :D
You're asking for quite a bit without very much background at all. I humbly suggest doing a good bit of research on 'low tech' planted aquariums! You should get plant lists, care requirements and also general care of low tech tanks.
I can give you the gist of low techs however :). With low techs you're looking at low lighting, no co2 and sometimes no fertilizers. I'm not personally familiar with the Finnex FugeRay but I do believe it's a perfect low light, light. For substrate I'm quite sure you can just do most anything however some substrates grow different plants better than others. As for fertilizers (ferts) I'm not personally acquainted with what people do for ferts when it comes to low techs...someone here should have better insight on that!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438061204.067049.jpg So I've got all of my equipment (yes my filter is huge for my little tank, but my manager gave it to me & it works so it will do) I'm planning on switching out my driftwood for something a little smaller so I can fit more plants but you get the idea... So questions, I'm really curious about what new plants to add, I'm leaning towards chilensis and was wondering what the general opinion on it was, also I'm going to be moving my betta to a new home and was hoping to add a few small fish. I like endlers but I was curious to see what you all would recommend for a 2.5 gallon. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom