Starting my planted Discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim B

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 90 gallon corner tank that is planted I am cycling it and getting ready for discus and have a question.

Should I add a bubble filter to this setup since I have to run temp so high?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417950319.061694.jpg

All live plants

Oh that is gonna be cool.. as far as the bubbler I am not sure,..I guess let you conscience be your guide..?...

I have a 90 gallon corner tank that is planted I am cycling it and getting ready for discus and have a question.

Should I add a bubble filter to this setup since I have to run temp so high?

High? Is the elevated temp for cycling that your shooting for? An air stone wouldn't hurt,the extra o2 would benefit you through cycling...

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

You should always run air with Discus. Have you decided where/what size you'll be getting ?

You should always run air with Discus. Have you decided where/what size you'll be getting ?

I'm thinking 4/5 inch from Discus Hans. I'm looking at about 8 should I get same strain or can I mix it up I was thinking 2 of each type I like

I'm thinking 4/5 inch from Discus Hans. I'm looking at about 8 should I get same strain or can I mix it up I was thinking 2 of each type I like

Wonderful choice !!!! Yes, you can mix any strains together. You should never mix types (Asian and Stendker) together. Although I have none of his (yet) Discus Hans is wonderful to deal with. I can guarantee any purchase from him (like all the other reputable importers/breeders) he will be there for you anytime of the day or night. I would also give an opinion to purchase his food since they're already eating it and you'll need some at some point. Don't hesitate to spend time on the phone or email about what's available and what you're looking for as his stock is constantly changing as fast as they come in, they do disappear lol.

Good luck with everything, please keep the updates coming, and if there's anymore questions, I'll help where I can or point you to who can.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Added a home made bubble sponge until my hydro V comes in. Tank levels appear to be settling now. Still going to wait a few more weeks before I make an order for my discus. Still can't decide between Hans or Kenny both are highly rated. Which strain are hardier Stendker or Asian?

Plants are growing like crazy with my DYI Lights. Rams are growing cant wait for there colors to come in more.

Ordering my light this week Kessil A360WE Tuna Sun for my wife.

A few pictures
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418835951.776260.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418836008.863656.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418836066.128975.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418836092.296147.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418836134.607754.jpg

Got the Kessil A360WE tuna sun in today and installed . 1st pic is just DYI lights on 2nd pic is of just the Kessil onImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419028597.092281.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419028608.292965.jpg

Just watch the algae blessing above there ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know I'm a little worried about algae. I have it set on the lowest setting and will work it up over the next couple of weeks. Probably need a C02 system next to balance things out better. I'm still a few weeks away from ordering my discus. Just want to make sure tank is in balance.

That is quite bright. Can you dim or raise that up ? It may be a bit much for them.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I am getting a fitting that will let me raise it up more.
Probably have to look into some floating plants to help with the brightness.

That kessil made a huge difference. Have you checked out the finnex monster ray? It looks interesting as far as making fish colors pop....

Are you planning on having other fish with the Discus? Should be a cool tank.

Thanks fish and thumper. I am planning on adding cardinal tetras, bristled nose, and a few others. It's still going to be a few weeks before I'm ready to order discus. I thought I would need two of the Kessil but once I get the 90 degree adapter I believe 1 will be perfect. It will put the light dead center of my tank.

Sorry been so long to post updates sad news about the planted 90 gal corner Discus tank . It has now become my wife's angel community tank.?

But on a happier note I came across a good deal on CList I finally have 6 Discus in a 55 gal tank. We also came across a great deal on a marineland 150 corner overflow but then found a better deal on the discus . We chose to go with the Discus. We ended up with 6 filters mostly HOB 20 long breeder for the proven pair , another tank multiple pumps, hoses and so much more. I'll post pics when they get settled in .

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420652255.167804.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420652269.235286.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420652282.417474.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420652292.821897.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420652306.954772.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420652344.009939.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420652355.494546.jpg

Back
Top Bottom