Starting Planted Tank Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I’m starting a 75 gallon planted tank with a driftwood center piece. I have not yet created a planted tank and but I am very excited to learn. I’m looking for advice on everything I would need to grow a great planted tank. I’m talking Lighting, Co2 Systems (if needed, More on that later.), what to use for the bottom of my tank and Filter. And any other items I should have that I have not listed or possibly even thought of.

Here are my plans. I want to start a 75 gallon planted tank with a large driftwood center piece, i plan on planting Java Fern and Java Moss on the driftwood, having a bed of dwarf hair grass carpet on the bottom of the tank along with some Horn Worth and I have a Red Lily I want to incorporate into the setup, I’d like some other suggestions on the types of plants I should plant that look good.

Thank you to anyone who helps me out in this fun learning experience so that i can create the master piece I’m looking for.

Well your defiantly gonna want to have Eco complete for the first layer then sand or small gravel on top of that, it provides nutrients and stuff to the plants. For lighting you'll want t5 lighting, at least 1-2 watts per gallon. I started the same endeavor just recently and this is what I ended up with.

Well your defiantly gonna want to have Eco complete for the first layer then sand or small gravel on top of that, it provides nutrients and stuff to the plants. For lighting you'll want t5 lighting, at least 1-2 watts per gallon. I started the same endeavor just recently and this is what I ended up with.

Thanks for the info but im not sure what t5 Lighting means, please write out any short hand way of saying things everyone because im new to this and dont know all the terms yet.

thanks, iv found some things around and if i only need 1-2 watts per gallon i should be fine with a two bulb ficture shouldnt I? running 2x 54 watt bulbs

what is the difference between a White, Blue, Pink Bulb, and if i have a 2 bulb fixture what color bulbs do i want and why. id really like to understand what they are and how they differ also the bulbs are offered in 6700k, 10000k, 14000k Temp bulbs, what does this mean and what one do i need for my planted tank?

what is the difference between a White, Blue, Pink Bulb, and if i have a 2 bulb fixture what color bulbs do i want and why. id really like to understand what they are and how they differ also the bulbs are offered in 6700k, 10000k, 14000k Temp bulbs, what does this mean and what one do i need for my planted tank?

White bulb is usually what you want to go for but some people use a pink bulb aswell. I don't know much about pink bulbs though. The blue bulb is a moonlight/actinic bulb which will do nothing to help plant growth.

You either want to go with 6700K or 10000K. This is the kelvin rating for the bulb.

White bulb is usually what you want to go for but some people use a pink bulb aswell. I don't know much about pink bulbs though. The blue bulb is a moonlight/actinic bulb which will do nothing to help plant growth.

You either want to go with 6700K or 10000K. This is the kelvin rating for the bulb.

well would 6700k or 1000k be better because i dont understand how higher kalvin effects plants. also do i need both bulbs to be white 10000k bulbs to have enough light for my aquarium because i like the way the blue light makes the water look but i wont scrifice look for plant health.

if you go with only one 54w white bulb you should only go with low-medium light plants.

well then im going to go with 2x 54w White bulbs. still dont understand if i should go 6700k or 10000k and how the difference effects plants. also really need so info on canister filters, not looking to spend a huge amount on this like 75-140$

I have my Lighting all figured out now, i know what im getting and everything, now i need some information on canister filters and Co2 injection systems

also should i do have substrates and sand or just substrates, as for the product im wondering if Flourite plant substrate is really worth 20$ per 15lbs also wanting to know how much sand/substrate i need for my 75 gallon

75lbs of substrate is enough. Whether to go with sand and fluorite is completely up to you. Fluorite does have proper nutrients your plants will definitely enjoy.

Fluorite does have proper nutrients your plants will definitely enjoy.

Not really. It has a small amount of micronutrients but not any macros. It's a good substrate but some dosing or root tabs are still necessary.

If you are forking out the cash you might as well get aquasoil or ecocomplete.

If you want to keep it cheap get some oil-dri or go with dirt.

Not really. It has a small amount of micronutrients but not any macros. It's a good substrate but some dosing or root tabs are still necessary.

If you are forking out the cash you might as well get aquasoil or ecocomplete.

If you want to keep it cheap get some oil-dri or go with dirt.

yeah ofcourse, I will be using both flourish liquid and tabs for roots, Im just having a hard time finding out if i can use 1/2 sand and 1/2 substrate or if I should be using all substrate I dont want to sacrifice plant health but if it wont effect them I would like to have black sand for contrast in my tank. but maybe I can just have fine black substrate.

Also, should I use a 4 bulb T5HO fixture or will a 2 bulb be ok? i was thinking maybe i should go 3x 54watt bulbs and a blue for a nice color? or should i save my money and just get a 2bulb,

anyone have an information for me, id like to get to purchesing my tank and equipment as soon as i can.

yeah ofcourse, I will be using both flourish liquid and tabs for roots, Im just having a hard time finding out if i can use 1/2 sand and 1/2 substrate or if I should be using all substrate I dont want to sacrifice plant health but if it wont effect them I would like to have black sand for contrast in my tank. but maybe I can just have fine black substrate.You can use any substrate or combination of substrate to grow your plants. Your root tabs will take care of the root feeders and flourish will take care of the plants that take their nutrients out of the water column. Depending on your lights, ferts will change as you make your plants grow faster.

Also, should I use a 4 bulb T5HO fixture or will a 2 bulb be ok? i was thinking maybe i should go 3x 54watt bulbs and a blue for a nice color? or should i save my money and just get a 2bulb,
I think when you mention blue, it is a Actinic bulb which produces little or no light plants can use. I see you have a 75 gallon tank so if you use two 6700 bulbs and one Actinic bulb, you will producing 1.5 watts per gallon of T5HO which is med high to high lighting depending on the height of your tank and how high above the water surface the light is since T5HO bulbs are a different animal then other bulbs because of the high output.

I think when you mention blue, it is a Actinic bulb which produces little or no light plants can use. I see you have a 75 gallon tank so if you use two 6700 bulbs and one Actinic bulb, you will producing 1.5 watts per gallon of T5HO which is med high to high lighting depending on the height of your tank and how high above the water surface the light is since T5HO bulbs are a different animal then other bulbs because of the high output.

My tank is 21'' tall and the light will be mounted on the tank so the light wont be any higher then 26'' high, if i used a blue light i would use 3x 6700 54w bulbs giving me 2.16watts per gallon and then a blue light for a good color, my question is however that the 4bulb fixture is quite a bit more and so i dont want to spend it if its unessesary. but like i said my plants are priority over lighting, i think having 4x 54watt 6700 bulbs would be a bit over kill giving me amost 3watts per gallon but like i said im new so maybe having that high of watt. would be good for my tank. also is a pink light needed? because i could always go 2x whites 1x Pink 1x Blue, 4x Whites, or 3x Whites 1x Pink, or 3x Whites 1x Blue.

Back
Top Bottom