Starting Up New Planted Tank Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm starting my tank up and I'm trying to figure the aquascape out. I definitely want a medium to heavily planted tank. My lighting system is pretty weak right now too. What substrate should i look to get? I'm thinking something fine like almost sand but I'm open to opinions. Also do i need to add dirt as well or will the plants be able to thrive off of any substrate that i decide on? Do you think I should change the lighting or just opt with lower light plants? Might throw an air stone in there as well to keep constant O2 moving. Please feel free to leave feedback and recommendations considering im new to this!

Hi there. I have a very heavily planted tank with medium level lighting. The substrate is Eco Complete, black. I use Co2 injection and Excel (Glut) as carbon sources. I use root tabs for the heavy root feeders like swords and crypts and Flourish comprehensive for the water column feeders like Java Moss and Java Fern.
This is the result:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433797486.982610.jpg
I'm not sure about planting into gravel or sand as there are no nutrients initially, when you want the plants to establish. I stayed away from soil because I have Malayan Trumpet Snails and they gently turn over the substrate when they bury themselves during the day, I think they would bring the soil up through any gravel or sand cap.
You said you would have an air stone to keep the O2 moving but I only have mine on at night, during the day the plants take in Co2 and give off O2. This is reversed at night and I use the air stone to drive off some off the Co2 produced by the plants. I have fish and don't want the Co2 level to rise too high at night. Using an air stone during the day is great for fish but drives off the Co2 and therefore not so good for the plants. It's a balancing act, helped by having daytime lighting, evening and early morning lighting (blue lights), Co2 and air stone all on timers (4 in all).
I'm not saying that my way is the only way but it has worked for me. It might give you some ideas though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi there. I have a very heavily planted tank with medium level lighting. The substrate is Eco Complete, black. I use Co2 injection and Excel (Glut) as carbon sources. I use root tabs for the heavy root feeders like swords and crypts and Flourish comprehensive for the water column feeders like Java Moss and Java Fern.
This is the result:
View attachment 273431
I'm not sure about planting into gravel or sand as there are no nutrients initially, when you want the plants to establish. I stayed away from soil because I have Malayan Trumpet Snails and they gently turn over the substrate when they bury themselves during the day, I think they would bring the soil up through any gravel or sand cap.
You said you would have an air stone to keep the O2 moving but I only have mine on at night, during the day the plants take in Co2 and give off O2. This is reversed at night and I use the air stone to drive off some off the Co2 produced by the plants. I have fish and don't want the Co2 level to rise too high at night. Using an air stone during the day is great for fish but drives off the Co2 and therefore not so good for the plants. It's a balancing act, helped by having daytime lighting, evening and early morning lighting (blue lights), Co2 and air stone all on timers (4 in all).
I'm not saying that my way is the only way but it has worked for me. It might give you some ideas though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for all of the helpful advice. I think I will be using Eco Complete. What type of lights do you have? Also is carbon injection completely necessary?

Thank you for all of the helpful advice. I think I will be using Eco Complete. What type of lights do you have? Also is carbon injection completely necessary?
Substrate - Plants can thrive very well off of any substrate. I use inert sand in my 40b and its growth is exploding. Regardless of the substrate you choose to use, including dirted you will have to add root tabs or your plants just wont do as well.

Carbon - A carbon source is absolutely necessary above low light, but you can use liquid carbon such as excel or metricide 14 in leiu of pressurized co2.

Lights - Finnex is a popular brand of lights to use. I would suggest the planted plus 24/7

Ferts - If you want to go beyond low light you will also need to look at fertilizers. Either pps pro or ei dosing regimens are very successful. Stay away from liquid ferts though.

Back
Top Bottom