Steam plants goin Karzy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My steam plants (Ludwigia Red and baby Tears) are putting roots out like crazy.
I mean form each node, they about2-3 inches long.
They make the plants look like crap.
When I first got them from the LFS they did not have any roots.

My Ph = 6.8, KH=8, NO3= 10ppm PO=1-1.5ppm. temp 79.

It is because of some nutrient deficiency
The plants are growing fine. Also the Red Ludwiga is losing its red color.
My light are 65*4 of PC on for 10 hours/ day with 3 hr gap in the afternoon.
i am using Flourish to provide trace elements.

tank size?
65x4 power compact lighting...
CO2 injection? (it looks like it, just wanted to confirm)

72 gal tank,
DIY co2 with 2*2lit bottles

any incites

are you using any pH decreasers? I find it hard to believe 2 2liter DIY bottles for CO2 would get your levels up to 38ppm. But, stranger things have happened, so I'll assume the CO2 may not be that high, but is still in a decent range (20-25ppm)

My fish always destroy baby tears...but it's pretty common for ludwigia repens to get aerial roots along the internodes.

I'd say your nitrates could come up to 15ppm. You need to start dosing potassium, around 15pmm. Flourish is fine for trace, about 2-3 times a week...but it doesn't have enough Iron, so I'd dose flourish Iron on the days you don't dose flourish.

Don't worry about the air roots you're seeing. They're simply a reaction of plants that have not developed a good substrate root system yet. As soon as your Ludwigia gets its feet in the dirt the air roots will slowly disappear. As it stands, you can clip them off if you don't like the look, but it's sort of a pain.

As far as the color goes, L. repens should have a bright red color on the undersides of the leaves given that you provide it with enough iron like Malkore said. Chances are you are underdosing your microferts. Flourish is decent but you can save a ton of money by getting your ferts in bulk dry form from www.gregwatson.com. If you have any questions about dosing levels just let us know :)

Thax guys..

Malkore – your are right about the CO2, I wonder the same thing. I need to find a way to test how CO2 I have (without using th ePH &KH chart)
I am not using any ph reducers. (Donot what chase the dragon J)
but I do add Backing soda to keep the KH high, to avoid large Ph swings.

I do use Greg’s stuff.. will order the substitute for Flourish.
Also according to your post you want me to increase PO to 15ppm or 1.5ppm

Travis – when I planted them they did not have any roots. Ur explanation makes a lot of sense. I will wait it out maybe another month, then cut off the roots that are in the water.

Or should I trim the roots that are in the water, so that the roots in the gravel get a better start.

Plus is Ludwigia a roots feeder, if so I need to stick some roots tabs.
Thank again

L. repens isn't a serious root feeder like Echinodorous or Crypts but still does well with a rich substrate. Never worry about clipping air roots. IME, clipping the roots has no effect at all on plant health - the plant is just trying to get down to the substrate. If you pull the stems up in a couple of weeks I'll bet you'll see all sorts of white root structure (not that you should do this, just postulating :wink: )

Greg sells Plantex CSM+B which is what I use. IMHO it's a little low in iron so I add a little chelated iron (also available from Greg) to my mix. It's hard to OD trace elements and they really make your red plants shine :D

so you think, they will never stop growing roots in the water.. :cry:

that sucks.. man.. the plant looks great , but without the water roots..

can you sujjest another nice looking steam plant that will not give out water roots.
:wink:

No, the water root outgrowth should stop/dissipate once the L. repens gets some true soil roots down, don't worry about it :) I've kept L. repens before and it has one of the worst tendencies for those white stringy roots from the stems of anything I've ever seen, but if you're willing to wait it out and keep them trimmed, it will be a great plant :wink:

hi guys.. i am bick with an update.. well, i took the baby tears out the air roots looked nastey.
but the Ludwigia Red is still putting out air roots.
all the pharms are fine i have have been testing every second day.
the plants are growing well, a month ago they were about3 inches now they are over 17 inches and side stems are also growing...

also do you think the water current has anything to with the air roots, the plants are gorwing side ways becasue of th ewater current..

PLEASE help me get rid of these air roots..

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom