Stocking 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfreyberger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 20 gallon tank is fully cycled and the plants have all started growing so I'm planning on adding a few fish over the next week. I already have a few ideas about what to get, but was hoping for some input in case I've overlooked any choices.

My goal is to have either one centerpiece fish or a pair of something like rams or apistogramma. Definitely needs to be something colorful and active. As well as this, I'm hoping to add a smaller schooling species - specifically one that might still school noticeably and frequently in such a small tank. Lastly, I plan on adding a few bottom feeders, and am trying to avoid corys because I've already had them before and want something new.

Any input is greatly appreciated

IMG_1207.JPG

For schooling I would recommend mannequins or black tetras. They school well and their simple colours don't distract you away from a centre fish. They also occupy the middle section of the tank making them eye pleasing. I would personally say that a Berta fish would be an excellent centre fish for a small tank such as this but I am pretty biased. As for bottom feeders hill stream loaches or Siamese algae eaters I personally never get bored of them. Rams horn snails clean very well to and breed easy

I like the honey or dwarf gourami.... as the feature fish. some people have just one bit have read they do better more than one (male and female or 2 females in your size tank).
otos and pygmy Cory's are very cute and entertaining and will be your cleaners... the are schooling fish.
with gouramis you can have harlequins or cherry barbs (only small barns as bigger barbs can get nippy with gourami).
you could go down a. different route and have a betta for a feature fish (my personal favorite... I was going to stick my 20 gallon with gourami bit changes mind mind last minute...both I think are good choices). woth a betta the pygmy Cory's and Otos will be fine. and any peaceful fish, like harlequins, will be fine with a betta (unless you have an overly aggressive betta).
let us know what you decide :)

I'd suggest school of black neons, which would contrast nicely with a colorful betta. For bottom feeders, but not corys? Maybe some nerite snails? Their shells can be quite striking.

Back
Top Bottom