Stocking ideas for 45gal panted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 45 gal that's soon to become a planted tank. I would like some stocking ideas please and thanks!

I would like a school of some sort. I am open to many ideas. My lfs just got some dwarf puffers they are pretty nice looking guys. But like I said open to all ideas. Essentially would like a large school and perhaps a smaller school and them a few random larger guys.

Thanks in advance!

Dwarf puffers don't play well with others. So unless that's all you want, you should steer clear. Is it a tall tank or a long tank? If it's tall, a couple of angelfish would look nice with some cardinal tetras and Cory cats.

Dwarf puffers don't play well with others. So unless that's all you want, you should steer clear. Is it a tall tank or a long tank? If it's tall, a couple of angelfish would look nice with some cardinal tetras and Cory cats.

Ok so scratch the puffers than lol. It's a 45 gal LONG. I would like to get something other than angels as they already used to be in that tank, thanks for your help though!

You could do a Pearl Gourami, a school of 10-12 rummynose or cardinal tetras, a smaller school of 6 harlequin rasboras, marble hatchetfish, threadfin rainbowfish, or even ghost cats. Then for the bottom 6 cory cats.

Another option would be going with a Rainbowfish tank. There are many colors of rainbows and they are nice sized. You could do a school of 6 since they are larger. Then perhaps 10 neons and 3 yo-yo loaches for the bottom level.

Thanks for all the help! Anymore ideas? I really like the pearl gourami should I just get one? I also like the threadfin rainbow so may get a small school of them. I'm pretty set on a school of 10-15 cardinals and 6-8 Cory cats.

I think you could do 1 pearl gourami and 6 threadfins. If you get threadfins get at least equal numbers of males/females as the males will color up and display much better. Also they will color up alot from when you first get them and they are all washed out. Be patient and even the females color up.

You could also go with some Congo tetras. They color up nicely as well and grow elongated flowing dorsal and tail fins. They also school too.
Serpae tetras are also a nice addition if your looking for your tank to pop.

I agree that serpe tetras give a nice color but almost without fail they tend to be nippy and aggressive even when kept in schools of 6 or more.

Lol its just an idea. But if housed with Angels I think it could be a nice planted stock

Rivercats said:
Unfortunely angels and serbae's are a disaster waiting to happen... lol.

Really? I've seen tanks with them together and they seemed to be peaceful. I learned something new.

That's the exception rather than the norm. It's like the pic's of tanks you see with angelfish and tiger barbs. Makes my skin crawl! Plus remember when fish are new and young they have different temperments than when they mature. I stopped keeping serbae's in the 80's as I got tired of dealing with their attitudes. I even tried them with angels and once the serbaes were in the tank for awhile and started maturing the troubles started, especially when one male becomes dominant and becomes a total butt.

So I think I might second your suggestion for threadfin rainbow fish. I have never kept them. What has your exp been with them?

I love them! Been thinking about upping my school from 12 to around 24. They eat good, males display alot when you keep them with females (alot of people only want males due to their fancy fins), and they readily spawn if you keep some type of floating plants and or moss.

Rivercats said:
I love them! Been thinking about upping my school from 12 to around 24. They eat good, males display alot when you keep them with females (alot of people only want males due to their fancy fins), and they readily spawn if you keep some type of floating plants and or moss.

How is the care level for these guys?

IMO easy, I don't do anything special at all. I keep my Gh/Kh at 4 but that is for my plants. In my tank plants tend to get priority treatment and that enviornment seems to be good for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom