Stocking Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc2ped

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been using Aqadvisor.com which tells me what I already know ... That I am overstocked
My fish store tells me that when I use the ubiquitous 1 gal : 1" rule I should not include my catfish or shrimp because they remove more waste than they contribute
Aqadvisor doesn't seem to care about what the fish eats or where it gets it
It also doesn't ask if I have fake plants or real plants which remove nutrients that don't get converted to ammonia>nitrite>nitrate
So how much does having live plants affect your carrying capacity
If my tink is lightly planted can I change the rule to 1:1.25 and 1:1.5 if heavily planted

It does, however, take into account the filter(s) you are using...sorry I can't help you anymore than that...just wanted to mention it in case you didn't see that part

Oh, and you can not trust the 1:1 ratio...way to many things go in to it, from what I've been told...for example ( I've been given this one in the past) gold fish...though some remain small, goldfish are extremely "dirty" fish (high bioload) so they in actuality need much more room then, say, Betta of a similar size...

-wait for the pros...they'll be able to help more...

Joyler said:
Oh, and you can not trust the 1:1 ratio...way to many things go in to it, from what I've been told...for example ( I've been given this one in the past) gold fish...though some remain small, goldfish are extremely "dirty" fish (high bioload) so they in actuality need much more room then, say, Betta of a similar size...

-wait for the pros...they'll be able to help more...

Aqadvisor, like the 1:1 "rule", needs to be used advisedly
It has a definition for my BioCUBE which I am assuming knows about the stock filter
But I have to plug in the dimensions of my Chi and have no idea what to tell it about the filter in the light fixture
Rules were made to be broken
I just want to get a handle on how far I can reasonably bend them
The fish part I pretty well understand but I am not clear on how much my jungle changes the equations

I'm not a fan of Aqadvisor. Until they explain their algorithms for bioload calculation, I refuse to believe what they tell me. I actually had a 29g that was 300% stocked when using an AC70 filter according to Aqadvisor. When I dropped and broke the AC70, that tank ran for a week with no filter and the nitrates went from 5ppm to 10ppm over the course of that week. That sure doesn't sound overstocked to me.

The inch per gallon "rule" is even worse. There are more exceptions than adherents to that "rule".

IMHO the only way to properly stock a tank is through research and experience. I prefer to stock my tanks using the following method:

1. Identify what level of the tank I'm looking to fill. If the tank height is less 12" or less, I break the tank into two strata: upper and lower. If the tank is 18" or more, I use three levels: top, middle, and bottom. If the tank is 12"-18", I'll use either the two-layer or three-layer model based on what fish I'd like to stock. Bigger fish use the two-layer, smaller fish use the three-layer.

2. Find a fish that swims at the selected level and figure out if the fish's potential adult size is appropriate for your tank. There's no point in getting hooked on a fish if it'll outgrow your tank. I don't like buying fish with the intention of upgrading the tank later. Too often it doesn't happen and you end up with a stunted or cramped fish.

3. Research your selected fish's temperament and how it will fit in with your other fish. It's best to ask someone who's had experience with the fish you're considering. The LFS often isn't the best place to get this information. When I bought my pictus cat, the guy in the store was trying to convince me that the pictus would destroy the tank because the price tag said "semi-aggressive". The only aggression I've seen is when another fish strays into the pictus cat's cave.

4. Listen to your gut instinct. I've had a lot of good experiences with potentially iffy fish combinations, so I'm a little more apt to take a risk, especially if I've got backup options. If you've had trouble with attitude issues in your tank, play it a little more conservatively. Your instincts will improve as you grow as an aquarist.

BigJim said:
I'm not a fan of Aqadvisor. Until they explain their algorithms for bioload calculation, I refuse to believe what they tell me. I actually had a 29g that was 300% stocked when using an AC70 filter according to Aqadvisor. When I dropped and broke the AC70, that tank ran for a week with no filter and the nitrates went from 5ppm to 10ppm over the course of that week. That sure doesn't sound overstocked to me.

The inch per gallon "rule" is even worse. There are more exceptions than adherents to that "rule".

IMHO the only way to properly stock a tank is through research and experience. I prefer to stock my tanks using the following method:

1. Identify what level of the tank I'm looking to fill. If the tank height is less 12" or less, I break the tank into two strata: upper and lower. If the tank is 18" or more, I use three levels: top, middle, and bottom. If the tank is 12"-18", I'll use either the two-layer or three-layer model based on what fish I'd like to stock. Bigger fish use the two-layer, smaller fish use the three-layer.

2. Find a fish that swims at the selected level and figure out if the fish's potential adult size is appropriate for your tank. There's no point in getting hooked on a fish if it'll outgrow your tank. I don't like buying fish with the intention of upgrading the tank later. Too often it doesn't happen and you end up with a stunted or cramped fish.

3. Research your selected fish's temperament and how it will fit in with your other fish. It's best to ask someone who's had experience with the fish you're considering. The LFS often isn't the best place to get this information. When I bought my pictus cat, the guy in the store was trying to convince me that the pictus would destroy the tank because the price tag said "semi-aggressive". The only aggression I've seen is when another fish strays into the pictus cat's cave.

4. Listen to your gut instinct. I've had a lot of good experiences with potentially iffy fish combinations, so I'm a little more apt to take a risk, especially if I've got backup options. If you've had trouble with attitude issues in your tank, play it a little more conservatively. Your instincts will improve as you grow as an aquarist.

I agree with you, but I also think that we need a jumping off place while we are gaining the experience needed to make the more rational assessments. This is particularly important for people just starting out.

When I am standing in the fish store checking my finances for that must have fish that the dealer swears will fit in with any fish I might have in whatever size aquarium I gave the 1:1 rule is better than nothing.

The place I find Aqadvisor the most help is in pointing out incompatibilities that I have not been aware of and for reminding me that I have already pushed the limits and should keep my money in my pocket until my situation changes.

Back
Top Bottom