Stocking suggestions needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What I'll be working with:

30g - 30L x 18D x 12H
2x T5 HO 24wt - powerglo and lifeglo with individual reflectors
CO2 - haven't decided on DIY or pressurized
regular fert schedule with greg watson ferts
SMS for substrate
homemade stand, canopy

The main purpose of this tank is to put it in the basement, so that it will stay cooler, so that my RCS and CRS might just start breeding again. It will be quite heavily planted.

I've thought and thought some more, so I'm trying to get ideas from others.
I'd like to have a specie of fish in there too.

Keep in mind:
non-heated
won't eat my shrimp

Also, I can't seem to find the 'multiplier' for WPG for T5 lights. I imagine that it will classify has 'high light', considering the tank is only 12in deep.

oh I just read an article on some subtropical fish.
hill stream loaches
freshwater blennies
dragon goby
white cloud minnow
ruby barbs
rosy barb
golden dwarf barb
green barb
platy's
paradise fish

I think some of the barbs, paradise fish, and platy's would be awesome, because you could have a school of rosy barbs (one of my favorite barbs) of maybe 9 or so, then one paradise fish as a "centerpiece" fish, a few platy's as a dither fish, maybe a school of white cloud minnows as a fish for the top. I think that would look awesome in a really nicely planted aquarium!

If you're trying to breed the shrimp, the only fish that is generally considered safe are otos. Pretty much anything else will eat some or all of the babies, and some don't even trust the otos.

Purrbox said:
If you're trying to breed the shrimp, the only fish that is generally considered safe are otos. Pretty much anything else will eat some or all of the babies, and some don't even trust the otos.

That's kinda what I was afraid of. This was kinda a loaded question - I'm not sure I really expected a definitive answer.

Dwarf cories maybe? but it's not like I'll need more scavengers...

Any thoughts on the hillstream loaches? I've got a local guy that breeds them, so I can get them for $10/each, but like you mentioned, I'm still not sure that they'd be shrimp-safe.

Most loaches looooooooove shrimp.

The only fish I've seen listed as "pretty much" - it depends who you ask - shrimp safe are otos, and occasionally dwarf cories.

Not to say you can't have an established colony with other fish. You can. I've had rasbora, endlers, heteradria, etc in with cherries and the colony persisted. Difference is, the colony wasn't exploding in population - and if I remove those fish, it does.

So if your purpose is breeding them out, well.....

It could work to keep either Dwarf Cories or Hillstream Loaches with the shrimp. The cories could make a snack out of the smallest babies and as a result would probably decrease the production rate. There is a possibility though that they might stress the shrimp out which could reduce or stop reproduction. Most of the Hillstream Loaches that I've read about are strictly algae eaters and would pose little direct threat to the shrimp, but like the cories their movements could stress the shrimp out.

The other thing about keeping fish in with the shrimp, is that the shrimp will end up hiding quite a bit more so you won't see them near as often as in a species tank. When shrimp are being breed instead of being used as algae control, it really is best to keep them by themselves.

Many peoples have reported issues dosing fertilizers with shrimp. You may want to try cutting back on your fertilizers to see if it helps bring back the breeding. Opinions on the matter vary greatly, but it's worth an experiment to see whether it makes a difference in your situation.

Purrbox said:
Many peoples have reported issues dosing fertilizers with shrimp. You may want to try cutting back on your fertilizers to see if it helps bring back the breeding. Opinions on the matter vary greatly, but it's worth an experiment to see whether it makes a difference in your situation.

I've read hit or miss on this as well. Their current tank, 10gal, isn't dosed with ferts. Just RCS and CRS. The temp on this tank runs 78-80deg typically, because it's upstairs.

Back
Top Bottom