stow-away, what do i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PondFond

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi, i just got back from the pet store where i was buying plants and snails, I found a little guppy in the water and i didn't have the heart to feed him to my other fish. But i dont have the right equiptment to take care of a tropical. I'm a pond guy! I have him in a fish bowl with some oxygenating plants. I do have the right food but is there anything else i could do to make his stay more comfortable without having to spen alot of money, preferably no money at all. please help!

well it is just a feeder guppy so i dont think i would use the tank again if i were to buy it. i don't know what to do still. I have a heater i could use in the bowl and i light and a bubbler(oxygenator) could i use any of those

I have a heater i could use in the bowl and i light and a bubbler(oxygenator) could i use any of those

How large is the bowl? AFAIK, there is no heater that would be safe putting in any bowl under 2-3 gallons. You would need the bubbler however. What are your plans with the guppy if it gets larger? Why not keep him in his own tank, with possibly another? A 2.5 - 5 gallon would be perfect.

when it gets larger i will put him in my 20 gallon with my other fish, they would eat him if i put him in there right now, i could not use a filter because he is so tiney that he would get sucked up, aswell i dont have a 2.5 to 5 gallon tank and if i went to get one i would have to go on a 30 min trip into town and then shell out like 30 dollars (canadian) for one tiny fish that probably wont live over night. I will do the best i can but there is only so much i can do, i am a kid i dont have that kina money. i will save up for a tank but by that time the guppy will probably be dead. I am really sorry for him. You probably think i am a horrible person. :cry:

No, you are not a horrible person - you truly want to do something about this situation but you have limited resources.

If you put the bowl in the window and it gets sunlight the plants will provide enough oxygen to support this one tiny fish until it grows big enough to go in the larger tank. If you don't care about algae, the algae that will grow will provide a little food source for this guy and I think it can work. I have Endler's in a 5.5gal without filtration but it is very much dependent on the plants growing there. An incandescent gooseneck desk lamp, or one of those halogens, pointed down into the tank might provide enough heat to keep the bowl warm.

PondFond, I would try putting the guppy in the bowl you have for now. The live plants are a great idea. What size heater do you have? I have a 7.5 watt heater that I use in a 2 gallon bowl occasionally.

Try putting the guppy in the bowl. He should do just fine, and then you can add him to your 20 gallon tank.

aswell my larger tank holds some bigger fish, like 2-3 inch goldfish. I do have a little side container for baby fish, would that be good once he grows. I am afraid my goldfish might eat him. He just looks so fragile. I feel sorry for the little guy

heres a pict

here is a pict of the little guy, can you find him, it is so tiny, he is a bit blurry, that is my smallest bowl too! and he makes it look huge

Attachments

• picture_001_479.jpg
    picture_001_479.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 74
I was wondering if you had a little breeder or side container. That would be good for the guppy, I think. He could be in the bigger tank with the filtration, and still be safe in the container. I think the tropical food you have will be ok. If it seems too big for him to eat, crush the flakes between your fingers to make them smaller.

there is a better way to show you

here is a better way to show you, i even had trouble with the last pict!

Attachments

• picture_001_153.jpg
    picture_001_153.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 68
if that gives you a better mental picture of the size, i'm sure he must have been born today! thats how small

thats for all the help guys, i am no good with tropicals, i tried but it seemed the second i turned on that heater they all died :(

Back
Top Bottom