Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2004, 02:30 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Strange Crypt Melt

I have a Cryptocoryne walkerii. It's been doing great, and just today I noticed that three of the leaves were standing straight up, maybe like a val. The other four leaves, plus the very new leaf, are all in the normal position. The leaves that were standing straight up then melted very badly and laid on the gravel. I used my long tweezers to remove them, and the stems were already detached from the plant. What happened?

Lighting is a 15-watt Penn Plax flourescent -- it hangs over two 5.5 gallon tanks. I've had this crypt since June and it's been growing very well. I fertilize twice a week, about 1/2 cc, with Seachem Flourish, and 3-4 times a week with Flourish Excel. I also use the Flourish root tabs.

The only thing I can think of is that the roots are very big now, and I gravel-vac them up by accident. I didn't realize how much they had spread through the tank. Could I need to change the light bulb already? I got it in June also. It's on for about 10 hours a day.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If there have been no other drastic changes to lighting or water chemistry. I would suspect that disturbing the roots caused the melt. Many crypts are very sensitive to root disturbance. Luckily they are also quite tough and will eventually recover from almost anything, even if they look dead.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks, savga. The remaining leaves look normal now, and the new leaf grew about an inch in two days! It's kinda funny to watch the betta try to hide under it now. It's not like the "umbrella" that it used to be. I'll be more careful doing gravel-vacs!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Yeah, I had a crypt melt back to a tiny stump and survive. They are quite resiliant!

Tags
strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com