Struggling with Finding Balance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I recently upgraded to a stronger light and ever since have been struggling with finding the right balance of everything. I was hoping for some help getting algae under control.

It's a finnex planted+ over a 29 long
Dosing excel daily and flourish three times a week

I was planning to switch to dry ferts when I finish my bottle of flourish and I order some stuff online, probably within the month. I just dialled the amount of time the light is on to about 6/7 hours a day, but it does get hit by some sunlight. The nuisance algae I'm dealing with is fuzz algae(?) on plant leaves and occasionally glass.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416123534.687771.jpg

If I don't see any improvement should I have the light on even less?
Would a total blackout for a few days be worthwhile/effective?
Any other tips for decreasing this algae?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have similar algae too and I just upgraded to a finnex ray2 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416154075.864970.jpg
It's fuzzy and brown so u fortunately don't know a cure either :/
If ur not running co2 then I would def at least go diy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is not really a balance, plants just need to have enough carbon and nutrients for the amount of light they get. Light must be the limiting factor.

So with your new light Excel must not provide enough carbon anymore, you would need CO2. And you are probably lacking fertilizers. Take a look at Estimative Index and PPS Pro.

Ok so I'm going to need to ask for your patience and maybe to put up with some silly questions. I've only had aquariums for about a year and am just now getting into the harder planted side of things.

So with the light I am running (finnex fugeray planted+ 27 watt) I thought this would put me into the medium light range and that dosing liquid CO2 was enough. Is this incorrect?

I read the things you suggested and then some and think my problem stems more from a lack of macro nutrients than from carbon. To deal with this would dosing the more easily attainable liquid seachem products (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus) solve my problems? Or am I going about this totally the wrong way and need to look at upgrading both my fertilizers and up to a CO2 system?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I am sorry, I am very bad at estimating the levels of lights from the fixtures. But your problems started after you got new stronger lights, so it must mean your plants either lacks carbon, nutrients, or both.

Try with nutrients first, it's the easiest and cheapest. Take a look at the Estimative Index
EI light: for those less techy folks - Aquarium Plants

EI requires 50% weekly water changes, but this is not a absolute rule. If you start dosing EI and it solves your problem, then you can start dosing less and not require that much water changes. Lots of info here :
Estimative Index

Dry fertilizers are quite cheap. Much cheaper than liquid ferts, which are basically the same thing except they mixed the water for you. For example, 1.4tbsp of potassium sulfate + 500ml of water = Flourish Potassium
The PlantGuy- Canadian Aquarium Plants
Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home (but it's in USA and on 1 of 3 orders I had KNO3 removed by incompetant customs employees who thought it was something else)

Well I only began to dose excel after I upgraded my light so I'll start with just fixing my nutrient issue and see how it goes

Are you Canadian as well?

29 Gallon Community

Back
Top Bottom