Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

stupid question.....

Ok. I admit it, I'm not very bright when it comes to lighting!

I know I'm supposed to leave the lights on for about 12 hours max. But does that lighting have to be constant, or can I have it on from about 6am to noon, then again from 4pm to 10 or 11 pm?

I am gone at least 9 hours per day, and I really want to be able to enjoy my tub when I'm home. I can't do that if my lights are off.

Anyone know?

Thanx

Old 11-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidgette View Post
Ok. I admit it, I'm not very bright when it comes to lighting!

I know I'm supposed to leave the lights on for about 12 hours max. But does that lighting have to be constant, or can I have it on from about 6am to noon, then again from 4pm to 10 or 11 pm?

I am gone at least 9 hours per day, and I really want to be able to enjoy my tub when I'm home. I can't do that if my lights are off.

Anyone know?

Thanx
That's what i'm wondering too... I have a timer and set it on from 7am-11am and 5pm-9pm. That way I can watch my tank when i wake up and come back home at 5pm.... I have it for about 7months. It seems to be ok to me....

Old 11-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
A fish only tank will be fine, and I think most planted tanks will be alright. My only concern would be the resting cycle of the plants. I don't know a whole lot about it though, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in that field will chime in soon.

https://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Sliced Bread

It's quite common to run a split lighting cycle, so I don't think you'll have any issues.

I on the other hand run my lighting late, from 2-11, so the lights are on when I'm home in the evening.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
It's quite common to run a split lighting cycle, so I don't think you'll have any issues.
Thanx! I have to admit that seeing my fish first thing in the morning, before I'm off to the old grind, really helps my attitude for at least the drive to work! (Once I hit the door, I don't think anything can help!) :p

Alaris just gave me some mid and foreground plants, but I haven't seen much growth since I've just refurbished my tank. Can't wait to see what develops over the next couple of weeks!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

put it this way, a split photo period will work, but its deff not optimal. This has been verified by many with "optimal" setups as plants grow faster/better with a straight period.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok. This is what I did......

Added a 24W CF 13 inch 10000K light on the left side of the tank. Really brightened it up.

Adjusted the timer for a full 12 hours plus......on at 6 am (so I'm not grumpy and road-ragey in the am!) and off at 8.

That should give me some time to enjoy them.

Thanx for the help.

clh
Old 11-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well on my low light setup I leave my light on from 7am to 10pm so thats like 15 hours and my plants are doing fine. Just one 15watt 18in T8 SuperUV Sunlight bulb on top

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com