Substate to go with Eco-complete and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a little 6.6g tank. It has been up for almost 4 weeks. I have it planted with eco-complete, but not enough plants to cover the bottom. So when I do water changes I get the big cloud and it clogs my filter impeller.
What would you suggest to use on top of it? Flourite (they have onyx, which is a charcoal gray when wet) -- I heard there may be a black flourite, but the store said he would have to check to see if anyone has it he can order from -- or tahitian (sp?) moon black sand? Or something else.?
What do you think would be easier to clean?
If it were not for the clouding I'd leave it the way it is because it looks really nice. But I do need just a bit more substrate to fill in a few places and cover roots...

So what do you think?

I still need to get some MTSnails right?

I have never used sand before..
The tank originally was set up to be a growout tank for my bichirs. Now it may end up being a shrimp tank or I'll add my bettas or some guppies?? I don't know. It is 2.27wpg light, which is why I am rethinking the bichir thing. I just read they like low light, (1-1.5) and I have always had them in just natural light in a darker area of the house....

ANyway. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

If you are talking about refilling, pour the water slowly into a dish, or cup, or just your hand so the water doesn't hit the botttom with direct force.

I know mts are used with sand, but not sure about eco.

I think MTS can be used with just about any substrate. I agree with Twohobbies just use something to deflect the water when you pour into the tank and you should be fine.

Well, the location of the tank is where I have to reach across a desk and up over it to fill the tank. That makes it a bit difficult. Maybe I could put a big pile of rocks in one corner and dump the water there? I might be able to construct something that looks good. I would have to make sure it is stable so no one got crushed.. try to make sure it will not collapse from pressure...

I don't use eco-complete, but whenever I do a water change just pour the water onto a decoration or some kind. That way the water is deflected from the bottom. A rock, piece of driftwood, any kind of decoration should work.

I just bounce it off the side of the tank and that does fine as well. Usually near the surface of the water. I have also poured it straight into the filter before if you have an HOB that will work too.

Alshain said:
I have also poured it straight into the filter before if you have an HOB that will work too.

Pretty much what I do. Keeps the water from hitting the gravel with a lot of force.

When I had a clay pot in my 10g I just poured the water directly on that. The only gravel that moved was directly beneath the pot (had a hole in the top).

It sounds like you didn't adequately rinse the eco complete before adding it to the tank.

If you get fluorite, you need to rinse the heck out of it or it will do the same thing.

Yeah, I do that, bout its so much force since I can't pour as slowly as I do in other tanks, that it still stirs it up. I do still need something to fill my over the roots of 2 plants that just won't stay under. But I do not need a whole bag of anything unless I am going to put a whole layer across the top. What are your suggestions to remedy this situation? Can I use just a few handfuls of top soil or organic manure?

YuccaPatrol said:
It sounds like you didn't adequately rinse the eco complete before adding it to the tank.

If you get fluorite, you need to rinse the heck out of it or it will do the same thing.

Just FYI, you do NOT want to rinse Eco-Complete. It comes wet in the bag, and is, as the name says, "complete". Unless you try hard to stir it up (i.e. dumping a lot of water right on it), it doesn't cloud the water at all.

Musket said:
Can I use just a few handfuls of top soil or organic manure?

I don't think either of those are appropriate for an aquarium, but I'm not an expert.

How about some river rocks or something similar for those two plants ?

TwoHobbies said:
If you are talking about refilling, pour the water slowly into a dish, or cup, or just your hand so the water doesn't hit the botttom with direct force.

I know mts are used with sand, but not sure about eco.

I use MTS in my Eco, and they are just fine. Do a great job too. :)

YuccaPatrol said:

You cannot rinse Eco Complete. It contains gravel of all sizes, from dust to large pebbles. And it comes in a bag of liquid Amazon water.

no worry, I did not rinse or even attempt to rinse the eco-complete. I have had the tank set up for almost 4 weeks prepping it for my bichirs to grow up in. Then they will have to go to a bigger tank... Anyway. I wanted a black bottom to this tank and just a few rocks and plants as decoration and hiding places. I wanted a different look. I have read that a lot of people use sand, and then I found some black sand. I was wondering if it would work okay. I have never used sand, and it wouldn't be a complete sand substrate for the plants, but it would cover up those pesky roots that just keep popping up no matter how much dirt I put on them and maybe it would help the eco not wash around so much when I add water. Anyone who uses sand.... does the sand cloud up the water during water changes?

Or I found some small and medium sized black stones. I though of flourish first, but can't find black to match the substate and the gray well... I don't like it for this tank, it isn't what I was looking for.

What in your opinions do you think would work best?

joannde thanks for the suggestion, I use river rocks in another tank along with the eco-I like the look, but wanted something different this time. I have some glosso growing in the front, once it takes a better hold and fills in, I can put the water in there with far less worries... But you know how a planted tank takes it's time to settle in...

THanks in advance..

Mixing eco complete is not recomended, and I fear that a top-layer would quickly become mixed. The smaller dustier parts of EC will eventually work themselves down farther and cloudiness will be less of a problem. I had to "dust" my plants when I first got EC.

MTS may quicken the settling.

hashbaz said:
Mixing eco complete is not recomended, and I fear that a top-layer would quickly become mixed. The smaller dustier parts of EC will eventually work themselves down farther and cloudiness will be less of a problem. I had to "dust" my plants when I first got EC.

MTS may quicken the settling.

I agree... :)
It will settle in with time....

What kind pf filtration on the tank? A small hob would likely clear out the small particles if you stuffed it with floss.
If you need some MTS, let me know. I have hundreds of spares. :lol:

How many MTS are needed per gallon? I have 8 in my 25g eco-tank and I have a few 1g betta tanks I made planted (a test) and this 6.6g. So how many should I need for each? (If there is a calculation for it...)
Thanks.. So I know how many to ask for.. :)

Yes, I have a small hob that came with it, I have a sponge and 2 bio cylinder things in it. If I add the bichirs I will add their little filter as well to hang on the side inside the tank - one of those new whisper things.

So it seems everyone thinks it is better to just get more eco to fill my gaps, and be patient and stir my eco for a few more days?

I've never seen a MTS/gallon reference, like the one for apple snails. They don't really add much bioload, and will basically multiply/grow larger depending on available food. I've noticed the MTS in my cherry shrimp tank growing pretty large, but not producing hundreds of babies. My 55 community is loaded with small ones, the cichlids and catfish eat the big ones, and there's plenty of leftover food.

You can use soil in your tank without any problems. The trick is to use exposed Soil (No grass on it) that has been well oxygenated and try to use only the very top layer. This ensures that you are using soil with very low bacteria / organic matter content.

I use soil in my tank, I get it from a landscaping shop that describes it as "Extremely poor natural soil, containing almost no organic matter."

Back
Top Bottom