Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokkzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 37 gallon tank im gonna start. I have 60 lbs of black tahitian moon sand. I want to get maybe a sword or two. But my main item to buy is a back wall of anachris and ferns as foreground. Will they be ok in just sand and some flourish added weekly? Will 20 lbs of Eco-complete do ok in the middle of a sandwich of sand?

Please advise. Thanks

They'll do fine in just sand. I'd just add some root tabs in the area they are planted and let it rock. 60lbs sounds like a bit much but I don't know what your dimensions are or how deep you wanted it to be.

Yeah. I got a lot just in case it wasn't enough, the whole 1lb per gallon rule. Plus I wanted extra for a smaller tank I'm getting in the future.

that's cool. The lb/gallon thing kinda goes out the window depending on your tank dimensions, but is definitely a good rough estimate. One example is the 40g breeder tank dimensions. it has 4.5 sq feet of surface area versus 4 sq feet surface are of a standard 55 gallon.

Will snails be ok with sand substrate? Or will they mostly stick to the glass anyway?

Back
Top Bottom