Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is a good substrate for plants to thrive in and should i have gravel over the top?

you can use dirt but you have to cap it and there is a whole procedure for dirt. if you don't wanna cap, you can use flora max.

What is a good substrate for plants to thrive in and should i have gravel over the top?

PFS will do the job fine. While it doesn't come with nutrients plants need, you can dose Root-Tabs and liquid ferts.

You can look to purchase specialized plant substrate like Eco-Complete that has nutrients to help plants. Ultimately, which-ever substrate you go with, you'll ultimately have to fertilize as eventually nutrients run out.

Yes you can opt to cap the substrate with gravel if you prefer the look, it's what I have with my tank. PFS below gravel where the plants are.

TigerBarbs said:
What is pfs lol?

Pool Filter Sand
Usually sold at home depot, lowes, pool supply stores. Considered to be a great substrate, I've had good experience with it. 50lb bag for 5 dollars.

or u can get some really nice pearl white or black night tahitian sand from home depot! really nice......looks amazing in a tank!:)

only like $15 for a 40lb bag i think

Back
Top Bottom