substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingkracker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can i use regular potting soil for substrate if i used a organic soil with nothing added?

Sand? Could i use gravel? Never done sand before, not opposed to it just asking

Yea, just dirt would get everywhere and probably cloud the tank up something fierce. I don't know if large gravel would necessarily be the best option, but smaller substrates the size of Flourite or EC should be able to keep it down ok.

To be honest, I've never setup a dirted tank before. I've just seen others posting about it. I believe gravel would have trouble containing it with the larger gaps in it. Sand would form a compacted "cap"and contain the organic soil better. I think you can try pool filter sand as it's inert and pretty inexpensive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong and chime in please... Otherwise, google it and I'm sure you'll dig up some threads on it.

Ill prolly just go with sand my wife is going to be doing this tank so i want to make it as hassle free as possable

Well if you like a darker substrate, you can use Eco Complete or Floramax to cap the dirt... similarly to what Aqua_Chem just mentioned... you can go either route I believe.

Back
Top Bottom