Substrate Doesn't Hold Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got the substrate from AquariumPlants.com in a 5 gal bucket for 22% cheaper than Eco-Complete. It seems pretty good, but it's very light and some plants have a hard time staying rooted. Is there a good solution? Should I mix it with another substrate to give it better holding power? Is there a way to anchor the plants till the roots have time to grow and get a strong deep hold?

What kind of fish are bumping into them? and what kind of plants.

I'm using Turface (light colour of the same stuff you have) and the plants that grow roots can hold up to a 14.5" Sailfin pleco (if he doesn't snap the stem).. Now if I could get the loaches to stop helping him...

Even Glosso can get an excellent hold in it. I would imagine plants like Cabomba and anacharis might never get a hold in it since they don't have roots. In those cases, try lead type anchor (not many things are lead anymore) and bury it with the plant in the gravel.

As a temporary solution, until the roots grab hold, what I did was take a small rock and rap a piece of wire or paper clip around the rock. I left it stick out about an inch. The part that is sticking out I used to hold the plant down by placing it over a portion of the roots. I then burried the rock as well. Cant see any of the wires. I just have to remember to go and remove them in a few weeks. :wink:

If you're dealing with stem plants, you could try planting them at an angle so it's harder for them to lift out. Another option would be to float them for awhile until they've got enough roots to be easier to plant.

The plant is a dwarf chain sword. It has 4 or 5 segments with the biggest one having a significant clump of roots a couple inches long. I never see anyone but guppies touching it, but in some mornings, I find the whole thing floating. I have a 2.5" blue gourami that i've seen eating algae off plants fairly vigorously. I wonder if stronger things happen at night. I have no bottom feeders except ottos and I don't think they're big enough to do anything. Oh, I also have a pineapple swordtail that I've seen eating algae off plants too.

Back
Top Bottom