Substrate filler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DuoofDeath1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up a little 7g nano cube that will be planted. Right now I have a single 3L bag of ADA aqua-soil and I am thinking that won't be enough to give me enough depth especially in the back of the tank. Really don't want to buy another bag because I can't get it local so I'll have to wait another week for that to get to me and I think I'll only need like half of the additional bag.

My question is this. Thoughts on something I could add to the rear of the tank to give me depth and still make it suitable for a few stem plants? I have seen a video somewhere that showed a guy using a media bag full of crushed lava rock to add height to a scape without buying a ton more expensive substrate. Or should I just stop being cheap and impatient and just buy the additional bag?

I usually add height with aquarium gravel. You can put the soil on top of it.
That's kind of what i was thinking but i wasn't sure if the aquasoil and the gravel would start mixing or if the aquasoil would end up at the bottom if i tried to replant it once or twice. What would be your thoughts on using black sand? Or do you think that will just kick up too much?

What kind of plants do you want back there?
At this point, not entirely sure. Ideally anything my light and tank will allow so i have options. I have a Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Clip light and don't plan on running CO2. I like Ludwigia repens reds but they may be a little too tall for the tank to even start with. The tank is a 12x12x12 cube and then i'll need atleast 2 inches of substrate.

I use sand so I can't say for sure if your first will sink into it. Gravel comes in various sizes so you may find one small enough for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom