Substrate help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zemerys

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. So i have a ton of white sand and maybe a kilo of gravel. And when i went to the hardware store to look for more sand i came across Leaf Mold.

Can i use this leaf mold mixed with sand?

If i decide not to.... Can i at least put it in a pot and plant the plants there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ps: im from the phils and its sooooooooo hard to find great aquarium stuff here. So these things are my only closest options as of now. ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444422610.579600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would go with just the sand myself, how big of a tank are you planning to use? What are you planning for the overall tank?

I would go with just the sand myself, how big of a tank are you planning to use? What are you planning for the overall tank?

Oh sorry. I shldve included that.

20 g tank
Freshwater heavily planted

So I would use sand as a base and depending on the type of fish you may be able to use the leaf mold in small portions to add tannins into the water. What kind of fish are you planning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I would use sand as a base and depending on the type of fish you may be able to use the leaf mold in small portions to add tannins into the water. What kind of fish are you planning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Guppies, cories and neons.

Ok so that would work out to use the leaf mold to create tannins. I would maybe put it in a media bag so it doesn't make a mess in your tank and only add a little at a time. It will make your water brown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom